• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I've been spiked

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, talk about entertainment! But now that I've read the last few months in the past few minutes, the conclusion to this is gonna be aggrivatingly slow!

So are you actually building an EDM? Isn't that quite complicated?

Not just entertainment but education - what a great thing it is that Robin is sharing this with us. We need to nominate him for some kind of award - best forum topic or something.

The Squire is a "Mad Scientist" at heart and loves every moment of it. I wish I had half the smarts to do all the things he does..... carry on my friend. Your ventures into the unknown bring us joy.

You guys are gonna give him the big head. Wait until he succeeds or quits the despiking project before heaping on the accolades...

Nah, he's worth a heap of accolades already. If/when he gets those cannons cleaned out I don't know what he'll be worth. Maybe a few pounds of black powder less.

As far as I can see, Robin is a truly smart guy. "The path is the goal", or something like that. Imagine the time coming when he actually gets his cannons to fire - great moment, yes, but what then?

For us forum dwellers, the entertainment value is much higher as long as he is working on them thar cannons. Oooh, the suspense!

Steve

Robin - don't read this post!!

My point is that we should encourage him to git-r-done and shoot that wildebeest!! If we congratulate him now, he loses that incentive...

You are right, Robin does appear to be quite the intelligent chap. Much better than his mentor Batman. :rotf:

bavarialand said:
any updates on the cannon-? :hmm:

I've had the web cam down it and there's definitely something down there. I need more light so I'm see further in front of the camera. I'm going to attach a bulb, then I have to get it off the lap top and on to my PC before I can show it here. Got a bit side tracked with that Baker :redface:

:grin: There should be a rule or somethin.....you know...like you can't play with the Baker until you get this done! :rotf:

Swamp Rat said:
:grin: There should be a rule or somethin.....you know...like you can't play with the Baker until you get this done! :rotf:

EXACTLY! :grin: The suspense is killin me.

Ok it's been a month since the last report any news? I'd sure like to know how this works out.. :thumbsup:

I want to have another try before Guy Fawkes night next month. The web can has located the obstruction and it's well rusted in place.

What I plan to do is make a reservoir to hold some of that organic rust removing solution over the touch hole and then encourage it down with 10 bars of compressed air.

If I can get any sort of flow going I should be able to recirculate the solution and be well on my way to freeing it.

best regards

Squire Robin

siphon.jpg

I have concentrated organic rust remover going in to the touch with about a six foot head.

I'll let you know if the level goes down :thumbsup:

best regards

Squire Robin

I still like the idea of honing the bore smooth up to the blackage. And then with an A-frame equipped with block and tackle, hang the whole affair about a foot over 4 inches of pine. Then, drop it muzzle first a couple of times. That should shake something loose. For some reason I suspect it may be zinc or bronze.

CP

Hi CP

I think you might be right, the time for subtlety is past. There are more ways to kill a cat than choking it with cream and it was the sledge hammer that finally loosened the ball :thumbsup:

The rust remover isn't penetrating, so next I will make up a loooong chisel with a tool steel tip brazed on the end and try hammering it between the obstruction and the bore.

If it is cast iron and part of the bore it will shatter, if it is iron it will bend, if it is rusted wrought iron it will shatter in a sort of bendy way and be very confusing. Perhaps the chisel will simply glance off and refuse to dig in at all, we shall see :grin:

best regards

Squire Robin

Back