• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ITX Anyone?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Spring turkey season is around the corner here in California and this will be the first time lead shot will be illegal to use on the big birds. The seller claims their ITX 10 shot is near heavy as lead but soft enough for classic double barrel shotguns. I am thinking of giving it a try in my Pedersoli double front stuffers. Has anyone used this stuff, and if so, how did it go? Thanks.

Put me on the Works Great list. I absolutely love the stuff. No problems at all, kills very well, and it patterns better than lead in all my guns.

Dear Moderator who moved this from Smoothbore to Accessories:

ITX is non-toxic shot, an alternative to lead shot. The discussion was use and then a question about loading in a smoothbore. Why was this moved? Not trying to argue here, just curious. Thanks.

THBailey said:
Dear Moderator who moved this from Smoothbore to Accessories:

ITX is non-toxic shot, an alternative to lead shot. The discussion was use and then a question about loading in a smoothbore. Why was this moved? Not trying to argue here, just curious. Thanks.
Let me guess... :wink:

"ITX is non-toxic shot, an alternative to lead shot." = shooting accessory

"The discussion was use and then a question about loading in a smoothbore." = Understood, what else would you use it in?

Clearly, the topic is about the shot, not the smoothbore itself.

I think you'll find many topics in the Accessory category about non-lead shot.

If you'd like to discuss this further, contact me privately.

itx original works just fine for hunting in smooth bore shotguns. i have used it in pedersoli sxs for ducks (#4) and geese (#2) and it kills them if i do my job. #4 for rabbits and grouse worked fine too in my flintlock tulle.

My initial pattern shooting with ITX #4 shot has been less than successful. I have standardized my patterning at a distance of 40 yards to the target, and with my jug choked 12 gauge gun my patterns averaged 20% or so- worse than the gun patterned lead shot before it was choked. This shooting has been with Starr-type cardboard wads. It is sure possible that at 20-25 yards the patterns might be very nice and great for decoyed ducks, but I haven't tested this distance yet because my primary bird shooting is at rapidly departing South Dakota pheasants. The ITX manufacturer claims great patterns and effectiveness using plastic wads, so this might be real helpful. More testing using cylinder choke and various shot enveloping devices are in store for me to see about optimizing the ITX shot.

Back