• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It's yun's guys fault

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraungie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I knew these computers were no good. I do a lot of reading on this site. It really keeps my interest up. It's all yun's guys fault. I am a salesman from Pittsburgh,PA and I am in a hotel in Hammond IN directly across from a Cabela's. You bright guys can tell where this is going. They had in the bargain cave a .36 colt navy with the ivory grips and some beautiful engraving. It's the Wild Bill Hickock model. $349.00 marked down to $280.00 and the kid in the store told me I had $79.00 in points. I have a .36 Pietta plain with a solid wood grip. But this gun is so beautiful and some one on here said you can get them to shoot really accurate. LA La La. How could I pass it up? Why are we like this? This my fourth cap & ball revolver. It is a pietta and feels smoother than my other 1851 from 10 years ago. I have a Pietta 12 gauge double I bought in 1979. The gun is a gem. I have killed everything with that gun including a 17lb gobbler. All my shooting with the pistols has been point shooting at about 10 yards. I have a target 1858 Remington I shoot using the sights. It shoots great This 1851 is so cool looking I can hardly put it down long enough to type this post. Cabela's used to sell an 1860 colt. They called it the lawman it had a fluted cylinder and the ivory grips. A freind of mine has one it is really nice and shoots well. He will not part with it and I can't get one. How could I let this one go by? It's all yun's guys fault and I am so glad you are the way you are. I can't wait to shoot it.

Yea, yea yea...it's all Our Fault....ha! That new Beauty was there just waiting on you!!! And you got a Great deal on it! Please post some photos
when you can! I am dyin to see it!

Sounds like you made out really good - congrats on your new toy. Like was stated, sure would like to see some pics... :thumbsup:

Yeah, sometimes you can get some good deals in the Bargain Cave. About 4-5 years ago a couple of buddies and I were going to a friend's home in S.D. to shoot prairie dogs. We stopped in Mitchell, S.D. and my friend and I both bought Pietta Western Marshalls for about $204.00 IIRC. Both had some little thing wrong with them and it was an easy fix once we got home. Took all of 15 seconds or so with a Swiss file to smooth the part, seem like it was something on the loading lever. Here 'tis:
PiettaWesternMarshall.jpg

Yea, we all do it, in one week I added a Pietta '60 Army, and a Pietta '58 Remington .44 . Why did I do it? Just because they looked good.

As soon as I figure out how to do th epictures I will. I did notice the trigger pull is a little creepy and hangs up in a couple spots on the way back. I am going to take it apart and look for the rough spot and try to hone it away. Look at those pics. The only thing prettier than a cap and ball revolver is two of them and so on.

fraungie said:
As soon as I figure out how to do th epictures I will. I did notice the trigger pull is a little creepy and hangs up in a couple spots on the way back. I am going to take it apart and look for the rough spot and try to hone it away. Look at those pics. The only thing prettier than a cap and ball revolver is two of them and so on.

Gotta agree...

Y'all boys sure do know how to make a guy green with envy :haha: . Thanks for sharing your toys... :thumbsup:

Well, now you guys went and did it! After seeing all those very nice collections, I got busy and started digging my "stuff" out. I surprised myself! I have never had all the handguns together in one place before; it's amazing how they sneak up on a guy. Anyway, here are pretty much all of my handguns, some are originals.. Sorry for the poor pictures...bright in some areas and dark in others.
MLpistols2.jpg

MLhandguns1.jpg

CBrevolvers.jpg

( There you go again ) I know you from somewere
else. :bow: :bow: . boomm.

Many Klatch said:
Mazo, I guess you do have a few pistols. Nice collection.
Many Klatch
Thanks Andy. There are also a few cartridge guns.....My wife says I have a "gun track mind"!

well I shot the wild bill hickock yesterday off the porch. The firworks kind of camoflauged the sound I made sure I didnt fire six in a row. I used the cornmeal on top of the powder. No Crisco no wads no problems. I put 20 grains of real 3f goex and filled the rest of the chamber with corn meal. Some balls were a little deeper in the chambers than others I will have to be careful pressing them in. Nice group about 4" at 20 yards from a rest. The group was 12" high. I dropped the charge to 15 grains. It still barked with authority and printed in the same area. I was looking at the rear hammer sights and thinking of filing them down can I do this without damaging the hammer? Nothing feels like or points like an 1851 colt. I can hit pop cans pretty regular with them at about 12 yards. Just point and shoot. I am going to play with the load. I really like using the cornmeal. I hated getting that grease on the grips and contantly wiping everything down. What a mess especialy in the hot weather You guys have convinced me that the cornmeal is the way to go. Only had enough time for 3 cylinders but the gun shot fine with corn meal. No misfires no malfunctions No 10 remington caps. It's a good looking gun I will get pictures.

Get used to the high impact location of your pistol. That's the way almost all of them are and it is the way the originals were.

The often mentioned old saying was, "Aim for the belt buckle" when shooting close.

The pistols were designed for the military and shooting at a range of about 75 yards at man sized targets.

As you found the pointability of the Colt style pistols is excellent and with a little practice learning where the pistol actually shoots rolling cans, pine cones and rocks will become almost second nature.

Glad to hear your having fun. :)

Now, lets see....What model will be the next one? :rotf:

I am really thinking about that .44 sheriffs model some one had a picture on this thread or maybe the pocket police in .36 What a great problem we have. This hickock is my 5th pistol. Thanks for he help. You know what I was thinking what if you filed the bottom bracket of the barrel where the two pins go through. Would this cause the barrel to tip down when the key is driven in? Might br a little tricky keeping it straight even with machinists bluing.

Back