• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

It's here....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good idea. Also, is there any advantage to brass or stainless steel nipples versus what is on the rifle from the factory? Thks
You could also check track of the wolf. They do a good job at putting the models they fit in the description. I always keep a stainless back up for all my rifles and revolvers. I haven’t tried brass yet but you would think they would peen/mushroom faster? I could be totally wrong, like I said I haven’t tried them.

Also, is there any advantage to brass or stainless steel nipples versus what is on the rifle from the factory?
Yes - they don't peen as fast as factory steel and stay cleaner. Oddly however I am still on the original nipple on my Zouave and it looks like new and it has been shot a bunch. Must have got lucky with that batch of nipples.

Go out in your shop and find a 1/4 - 28 nut and see if the nipple screws into it - or a 1/4-28 bolt and see if it screws into the drum.
Save a trip to to the store.

After you buy a nipple wrench make yourself a backup 'custom' nipple 'wrench' out of a screwdriver style nut driver.

Find one that fits around the nipple and cut slots in it to fit the 'flats' of the nipple. Heat and oil drench the tip to harden it and you will have the best nipple wrench made!

Attachments

• 615848-6dea233d0bb6b293cf3be7d9b5139dd1.jpg
    615848-6dea233d0bb6b293cf3be7d9b5139dd1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 74
buy a thread pitch gauge and keep it in your goodie box. I was a machinist for over 30+ yrs, and keep it. it will take all of the guess out of it, and you will not have to leave your shop to guess what thread it is?

It can be hard to tell the difference between a 28 threads per inch and a 0.75 mm pitch. One needs both the US standard thread gauge and a metric thread gauge. And a lighted magnifier to see the thread engagement.

I was having my problems yesterday verifying a 40 threads per inch. First I verified it with my thread gauge and secondly with my gunsmith screw plate from ACE Hardware. I need to find a similar metric plate or I need to make one.

In the Pedersoli web site, in the illustrated parts diagram, the nipple code:
Nipple Cheminée 0800003407
which is the same nipple as used in their Rocky Mountain Hawken and their side by side percussion shotgun.

On their site, Steel nipples set, Accessories Wrenches & Nipples . (davide-pedersoli.com) , the part number

• Cod. 036U470003
has listed as its features that it is a 1/4-28 for Pedersoli Rifles.

If you want the Beryllium nipples, then its part number

• Cod. 036U484003
and these are 1/4-28.

Its rather upsetting that if you use the code in their illustrated diagrams, you can't find it in a search of their products.👎

I don't think anyone makes a brass nipple. You might find very tough bronze nipples. Stainless steel is resistant to rust but not as hard as the hardened steel.
When people talk about brass nipples, they are thinking of nipples that are made out of an Ampco alloy.
Ampco is a company that makes all sorts of copper based alloys that can do things a common brass or bronze can't do.

I don't know which Ampco alloy the people who make nipples use but it is very hard and very resistant to hot gas corrosion making it a very good material for percussion nipples.

Back