• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

It's here....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stay away from a Jag altogether. They can be kind of a pain unless you get the patch thickness just right. (heck I stuck one good myself once!) Use either your idea of a swab wrapped around a .45 cal brush (I have done this myself) OR the easiest is to get a 16 gauge shotgun bore mop on another rod kept nearby.

The bore mops work very well, never get stuck and stay moistened with your swab liquid. I have several and use them for swabbing while shooting a well as final bore protective swabbing when finished cleaning. Easy to clean, a little dish soap, finger scrubbed, rinsed, squeezed and set out to dry.

Lots of between shots bore swab liquid recommendations but a good 'old school' swab is 50/50 Windex and Murphy's Oil Soap.

Bore mop.

Ok well there's my Homer Simpson moment....D'OH! I have a bunch of bore mops in various sizes and even bought a .50 cal one for this rifle. Thks

RR -- Congrats on the long-awaited arrival of your first BP rifle! Great-looking firearm. :thumb:

After viewing the many range reports of your .45lc rifle shooting on the hrf, my thinking is that you might enjoy the friendly BP shooting matches, which happen on here. Check out the "Member's Only Online Shooting Contests" forum. It's done by mail. Great that you have your close-by shooting range. Makes it easy to be able to complete.

If Badger saunters too close, just post a warning sign, "Smoke and Loud Noise." ;)

Easy to get hooked, isn't it?
Take care.
Bob
Nice to hear from you Bob, thanks. May just check that out.

Stay away from a Jag altogether. They can be kind of a pain unless you get the patch thickness just right. (heck I stuck one good myself once!) Use either your idea of a swab wrapped around a .45 cal brush (I have done this myself) OR the easiest is to get a 16 gauge shotgun bore mop on another rod kept nearby.

The bore mops work very well, never get stuck and stay moistened with your swab liquid. I have several and use them for swabbing while shooting a well as final bore protective swabbing when finished cleaning. Easy to clean, a little dish soap, finger scrubbed, rinsed, squeezed and set out to dry.

Lots of between shots bore swab liquid recommendations but a good 'old school' swab is 50/50 Windex and Murphy's Oil Soap.

Bore mop.
If all you use to clean is a bore mop you may want to take a look down the bore with a borescope. You will be surprised what you see left behind after cleaning.

Its not.

I previously outlined my cleaning procedures.

I use The bore mop for finish cleaning and final lube of the barrel only.
Guess I misunderstood the your post stating to ‘Stay away from a Jag altogether’, though it seemed straight forward. Curious how you clean your guns bore without using a jag?
Stay away from a Jag altogether. They can be kind of a pain unless you get the patch thickness just right.

Curious how you clean your guns bore without using a jag?
I remove my rifle barrels, pull nipples and set in a pitcher of hot water. I start with a brass bristle brush flooded with Dawn and slide it down the barrel and add a little extra dawn into the muzzle as well and scrub up and down until I see the water coming out of the drum fairly clean and no powder debris on the brush bristles.

I then screw a bore mop on the rod (a heavy shotgun rod) and apply dawn to it as well and scrub with the mop taking note of how it 'feels' and to ensure there is no roughness or hesitation. Again I do this until the mop comes out clean when I pull it up.

I then take the barrel outside (if not too cold) and rinse the barrel with a hose and flushing it out completely. If too cold I start the shower, turn the shower head to a stream and rinse with hot water until clear.

Then I take it out to the shop for a blow out with compressed air until all water is blown out and then screw a dry mop on the rod and run it down the barrel to 'mop up' any remaining water - but there rarely is any.

Next I wipe the barrel down to ensure there is no water film from handling etc. and if in the winter lay it up against my wood stove pipe for a COMPLETE drying and warming, or in the summer out in the sun to accomplish the same.

When this is completed I take a dry bore mop, spray it with Rem Oil and swab the barrel a couple times until I see oil running out of the nipple hole.

A shot of Rem Oil and a final wipe down of the entire barrel and back into the stock it goes.

Oh, the nipple, lock and other parts get cleaned as well but thats boring and not worthy of explanation.

No jag required throughout all of this.

Last edited:
Just curious....are locks interchangeable, as in would a flintlock fit this rifle too? Or are the internal gizmos not the same?
To add a lock that's flint...you need to take the bolster off and add a touch hole liner of some kind. Its much easier to leave it as is & buy you a flint gun.

For a stuck patch, it sometimes helps to run some lubricant down the bore on top of it. Most of the time, that's all it takes. I carry a small flask of alcohol for that (and swabbing between shots).

then swabbed between shots and the patch and jag got so stuck in there I had to call it a day and go home to pull it out!

I have pulled more than one stuck patch in the field using my boot lace, However I can give you a tip guaranteed to prevent a stuck patch.

If using square patches, lay the patch with one corner of the patch over the muzzle, then insert the jag. Do not center the jag on the patch. Doing it this way, you can use a patch twice the normal size without sticking.

When looking at your rifle I noticed the stand . Is it a portable shooting stand or just support for your rifle when loading?
If it is a portable shooting stand I would very much like to have the plans if they are available?
Enjoy your rifle I know that I enjoy shooting Mine!!

That is a very nice looking stand.
Looks very compact and easy to transport
i see several more black powder purchases in your future
enjoy your new rifle
tgrn

if that is the same as the one I bought, first buy a percussion, it has a drum, than you can get a flint lock and exchange it Buying a flint first is more difficult to change
Mine is a good shooter

some guys at my club use automobile windshield washer or Windex with vinegar in it. they both work good, I have used both of them.

When looking at your rifle I noticed the stand . Is it a portable shooting stand or just support for your rifle when loading?
If it is a portable shooting stand I would very much like to have the plans if they are available?
Enjoy your rifle I know that I enjoy shooting Mine!!
Rudy
That stand is homemade and no plans are available. However I can take some pictures of it and send it to you with measurements. You can buy all the stuff to make it at Home Depot. Its very portable and light weight. I use 2 small elastic straps to hold it together while carrying it. Works very well for shooting.

Rudy
That stand is homemade and no plans are available. However I can take some pictures of it and send it to you with measurements. You can buy all the stuff to make it at Home Depot. Its very portable and light weight. I use 2 small elastic straps to hold it together while carrying it. Works very well for shooting.
I would like that very much and thank you

Latest posts

Back