• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It's here....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a 1st BP rifle, I'd say that you've certainly hit the ground running ! CONGRATS ! !

Well, @RanchRoper, it appears from the parts diagram from the Pedersoli web site that you could get a Pedersoli Frontier lock and their vent screw (part 6a) and you could have both a percussion and a flint lock rifle. Pedersoli does think very highly of their parts so for only a few dollars more @BigAl52's solution makes sense too.

Link to the illustrated parts list for the Pedersoli Frontier.

S267-S266-S268-S269.XLS (davide-pedersoli.com)

RR,
Pedersoli made a muzzleloader with interchangeable locks, but as far as I can remember, it was an entry level rifle. If you want to change out the locks you’d have to almost start from scratch to make sure the vent would line up with where the drum would sit or vice versa...and have the threads that would match, which would not be difficult.

Ok. Just read your follow up posts. You were originally just speculating, but figured out guns can be set up in either flint or cap lock.
I got to thinking about what I had posted and decided to do a little research.

Pedersoli probably wouldn't want to advertise a convertible rifle for liability reasons or wanting more sales of two types of rifles.

Ok...first shoot....1 round ball at 50 yds off hand....then swabbed between shots and the patch and jag got so stuck in there I had to call it a day and go home to pull it out! In a vise. Lucky I live close to the range. Anyhow, rifle shoots great, love it. A better lubed bore will help and using a .45 cal brush wrapped with a swab patch will work better between shots instead of the stuck .50 cal jag/patch. That is some tough suction in there....arthritic hands don't help much either. All good, spent the afternoon cleaning and lubing. Ready to roll. A little different than the 45 Colts I am used to shooting that's for sure. Great fun.

Attachments

• November 22a.jpeg
    November 22a.jpeg
    21.2 KB · Views: 68
Just picked it up today...My new Pedersoli Frontier .50....first round lead downrange tomorrow...my first BP rifle. :)
I have a Pedersoli Kentucky long rifle in .45 cal. It's right on the money out to 100 yards. Be safe, have fun and post pics. BTW, I use a pre-lubed patch with the ball. I swab the barrel with a solvent patch then a dry patch between shots. Takes a little longer but works great. I use triple F powder down the pipe and quadruple F in the pan to prime. I'll probably debur the barrel next spring. There's a good video on just that over at the dualist's Den on YouTube. He went from excessive fowling every shot to shooting five shots without cleaning between and he didn't lose any accuracy.
Neil

Last edited:
@RanchRoper, when you swabbed between shots, was your patch dry? A dry patch will catch on the fouling and stick tight. You need to have an anchor to pull the patch out as you have observed. The swabbing between shots needs to be done with a damp patch. The patch can be dampened with spit, A mix of 1 part soap to a lot of parts of water, a mix of 1 part Ballistol to 7 to 10 parts of water or rubbing alcohol. Lately I have been using rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol does an acceptable job of wiping out the fouling and evaporates quickly. Be cautious of using the brush. They can get stuck too and are much more difficult to remove than a stuck patch.

At your range, look for a discrete place to locate a pair of hooks to place your ramrod handle so you can pull a stuck patch at the range. Corners of roof rafters work fine too. Our range has the ramrod hook and a large bench vise that is used for pulling ramrods without handles and support of our clay bird trap.

When looking at your rifle I noticed the stand . Is it a portable shooting stand or just support for your rifle when loading?
If it is a portable shooting stand I would very much like to have the plans if they are available?
Enjoy your rifle I know that I enjoy shooting Mine!!

RR -- Congrats on the long-awaited arrival of your first BP rifle! Great-looking firearm. :thumb:

After viewing the many range reports of your .45lc rifle shooting on the hrf, my thinking is that you might enjoy the friendly BP shooting matches, which happen on here. Check out the "Member's Only Online Shooting Contests" forum. It's done by mail. Great that you have your close-by shooting range. Makes it easy to be able to complete.

If Badger saunters too close, just post a warning sign, "Smoke and Loud Noise." ;)

Easy to get hooked, isn't it?
Take care.
Bob

Ok...first shoot....1 round ball at 50 yds off hand....then swabbed between shots and the patch and jag got so stuck in there I had to call it a day and go home to pull it out! In a vise. Lucky I live close to the range. Anyhow, rifle shoots great, love it. A better lubed bore will help and using a .45 cal brush wrapped with a swab patch will work better between shots instead of the stuck .50 cal jag/patch. That is some tough suction in there....arthritic hands don't help much either. All good, spent the afternoon cleaning and lubing. Ready to roll. A little different than the 45 Colts I am used to shooting that's for sure. Great fun.

Stay away from a Jag altogether. They can be kind of a pain unless you get the patch thickness just right. (heck I stuck one good myself once!) Use either your idea of a swab wrapped around a .45 cal brush (I have done this myself) OR the easiest is to get a 16 gauge shotgun bore mop on another rod kept nearby.

The bore mops work very well, never get stuck and stay moistened with your swab liquid. I have several and use them for swabbing while shooting a well as final bore protective swabbing when finished cleaning. Easy to clean, a little dish soap, finger scrubbed, rinsed, squeezed and set out to dry.

Lots of between shots bore swab liquid recommendations but a good 'old school' swab is 50/50 Windex and Murphy's Oil Soap.

Bore mop.

Attachments

• IMG_2378.JPG
    IMG_2378.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 61
Back