It's funny what gets a pass....

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Support' started by Brokennock, May 6, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. May 6, 2019 #21

Rattus58

Rattus58

Rattus58

32 Cal

I'm guilty! That said, I marvel sometimes that folks don't take the entire post, sometimes, into consideration. I don't have an example, but for example, I use cutting oil for patch lube, as probably do many, but when suggesting let's say, a particular ratio and looking for others experiences, you get someone piping in with crisco and beeswax, lard and beeswax, moosemilk, Hopps, and onwards... without aid to ratio's. If it's something like this you're discussing, I'm of the opinion that in open conversations, conversations are open... otherwise... threads should privatized... in my opinion... cuz... I'm guilty!

Brokennock and Shot deer like this.
  2. May 6, 2019 #22

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

At least they are still discussing patch lube. What I reacted to that was redacted, would be like poster- saying, "I like a 60:40 mix of beeswax and monkey tallow for patch lube," and poster-b saying, "i make pop-tarts. do you like radishes. ooo look a butterfly"

Juice Jaws, Rattus58 and Shot deer like this.
  3. May 6, 2019 #23

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

54 Cal.

I'm signing on to this thread for several reasons. Mainly so it will show up on my "Alerts". The other is that I find it a interesting topic. I also find it appropriate that the word "funny" is in the title and I find a sense of humor comes in handy when trying to be PATIENT.

Shot deer likes this.
  4. May 6, 2019 #24

Rattus58

Rattus58

Rattus58

32 Cal

hahaha.... :D Well true... and I wish I had seen the redaction before hearing about it in the aftermath... :D

5. May 6, 2019 #25

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

Speaking of mentioning cartridge guns on the forum, I don't have a problem with it when someone makes a comparison between a muzzleloader and a cartridge gun. After all, most of us are familiar with cartridge guns.

Yes. I agree that there have been several posts that went too far and I did let them ride because the general idea behind the post did deal with muzzleloaders.
    There have been other times that I edited out a lot of the stuff about modern guns but no one except someone who had read the post and then went back to re-read it and the person who made the post would know that I had done it. (When I edit a post I have the power of doing it without the post saying it has been edited.)
    Anyway, in the future I will be less tolerant of these "modern gun discussions" although I may leave some of them still mentioning modern guns.

Getting back on track, to Brokennock and anyone else who can't stand to read some other members posts, put your cursor over the persons picture or the place where their picture would be if they had one. "Select" it. That will open a black window that gives you several options.
    Over on the right side towards the top is the selection called, "Ignore". Click on it and every post that the individual made will suddenly be gone and you will never have to read anything that person posts again. In fact, you will never know that person posted anything or see any new posts they make.

The only time you might see something they said is if someone quotes them by copying their comment and then pasting it into their post.

6. May 6, 2019 #26

Shot deer

Shot deer

Shot deer

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

Brokennock never fails to amaze, whether he's pioneering through a topic that most leave untouched, or just making someone laugh and get high spirits again, among other very useful ML topics.

7. May 6, 2019 #27

Shot deer

Shot deer

Shot deer

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

Do you mean you will be less tolerant of people just mentioning modern guns? Example: Joe says he likes his muzzleloaders to go hunting with better than his modern guns because it gives him a feeling of stepping back in time. John says he likes muzzleloaders, but would rather hunt with the modern guns.
    Wouldn't that just be a topic for debating, along with personal opinion? Or would it be in violation of the forum rules?

8. May 6, 2019 #28

arcticap

arcticap

arcticap

54 Cal.

There are Facebook groups where they specifically state to the effect "Do not join this group and criticize other people's grammar. That will not be tolerated".
    It can cause petty arguing and hard feelings.
    I'm just letting you know that it's not well received now days.
    I try to look at it as everyone has a gift and something to offer.
    Whether it's music, athletics, being a soldier or an educational topic.
    Everyone has a gift and deserves respect despite their shortcomings.

Grumpa likes this.
  9. May 6, 2019 #29

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

I feel that it's ok to mention "period" cartridge firearms if it's in context and it's a weapon that was used during the time period that muzzleloading weapons were still in use, or comparing the two.

I.E. a Snyder conversion Enfield or Trapdoor Springfield, as these are "evolutions" from rifle muskets.

I fully understand not wanting to hear about Pappy Jebs 30-06 deer rifle as its completely out of context and the period.

10. May 6, 2019 #30

arcticap

arcticap

arcticap

54 Cal.

if I substitute the words "plastic sabot" for "modern guns" then would that be okay with you?
    Personally, I'm fine with it but the rules aren't mine.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  11. May 6, 2019 #31

SDSmlf

SDSmlf

SDSmlf

40 Cal.

Some gifts just take a little more work to unwrap than others.

Griz44Mag, WRustyLane and azmntman like this.
  12. May 6, 2019 #32

Shot deer

Shot deer

Shot deer

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

Yes, im totally okay with that, but I don't really get your point

Vladislav Krovopuskov likes this.
  13. May 6, 2019 #33

arcticap

arcticap

arcticap

54 Cal.

Aren't there rules against discussing modern guns as well as plastic sabots in the general forum?
    Also the discussion of any cartridge or conversion weapons.
    Also any breech loading gun.
    I don't know what they discuss in the premium members only forum and don't really care.
    But in the lower forums, I thought that any modern gun discussion was taboo.
    And as far as I understood, so is the discussion of plastic sabots and related yada yada yada.
    How can one be discussed and not the other in a similar context?
    Isn't it all discussion by definition?

SmokepoleSam likes this.
  14. May 6, 2019 #34

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member Admin

If you are aggravated and use put down, or you are a dummy, type of message when they don't know something you are going to turn them off and they will never listen to you and learn from you. If you show them what is right and why, they MAY at least consider listening to you. No guarantees.

One thing I had to learn in a cubicle type job I had years ago. I had to teach new members of the group how to process government subcontractor invoices into the work authorization system. I understood it. Many did not. So, if I came on as if they were dummies and knew nothing I could send a put down as "I'm smarter than you" message. I could teach them very little. Other times, if I assumed they knew more than they did, I was talking over their head. I could teach them not much. They though I was a "Know it all".

But if I asked them what they were having problems with, or how much they knew, I could start from there and we got along as an equal helping an equal. Those I was able to help.

So, belittling and put downs will turn anyone off from learning from you. And, I admit, some people do not want to learn. Those I'd recommend ignoring.

Shot deer likes this.
  15. May 6, 2019 #35

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member Admin

The way I understand it, modern is not to be discussed here. If you need to do that, let me know I can help you there as I admin on a forum that does discuss the modern muzzleloaders. So, something for everyone or both.

Shot deer and arcticap like this.
  16. May 6, 2019 #36

Shot deer

Shot deer

Shot deer

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

I get your point now..... and so I see what you mean. The plastic sabots I'm alright with being "forbidden".
    Sorry bout' that.

Vladislav Krovopuskov and Angie like this.
  17. May 6, 2019 #37

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Where most of us see that as off topic we don’t know how it connects in the posters mind. Often people will say ‘let’s look at this objectively’ what they mean is ‘let’s look at this from my point of view’. In the posters mind this might be very related. At anytime one can skip post that don’t seem to make sense. One can ignore seemingly silly comments.
    All of us on this forum are trying to say something he thinks contributes to the flow of the conversation. Like good queen Bess I don’t think we should cut windows in to others hearts.

18. May 6, 2019 #38

Shot deer

Shot deer

Shot deer

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

I've experienced rejection at teaching first hand.... Cause I'm not a good teacher is one reason. I think I said in one of my previous posts on this thread that doing what you described as bad hardens them against you....

Sorry if I seem, well, rude

Vladislav Krovopuskov likes this.
  19. May 6, 2019 #39

FishDFly

FishDFly

FishDFly

69 Cal.

In the last year there has been an increase of "not supposed to mention unmentionables" and then proceed to mention unmentionables. Was wondering why and why it was allowed.

arcticap likes this.
  20. May 6, 2019 #40

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Thank you. Humor can be subjective, and even tougher I writing, especially when trying to use it to make a less humorous point.

Arcticap, what part of "it's not a grammar issue," don't you get? I guess you can call the rambling without syntax or cohesion a grammar issue, but using Facebook as an example doesn't cut it. A large part of my point, and reason for starting this thread, is that we as a society (this forum having become a microcosm thereof) keep making excuses for people, keep enabling people, to be worse and worse at everything. I for one am sick of our society just letting things that are wrong go for fear of being too judgemental.

Angie and Zonie, thank you for all you do, for your time.
    I'm not ignorant of the lead box. But using it is just another way of burying our head in the sand, another example of our snowflake culture.

Juice Jaws, FishDFly and Shot deer like this.