• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

it's 1862, what pistol would you carry?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1851colts.jpg

For those interested in minutia, the link Capper gave shows the London 1851 Colt.

The steel backstrap they mention in their ad is correct for the London Colts.

It seems the British didn't like having the normal silver plated brass grip backstrap and trigger guard that Colt sold to the Americans so the Colts that were produced in London at Colts factory did have steel backstraps.

That's why I love Uberti's Zonie. They're into the details.

Actually, that's a Cimarron, but it's the same.

Seeing as the most modern pistol I have now is from 1982 I'd likely be toting something like these (unless I was issued an 1861 - but I don't think the U.S. Army or Navy took old farts even in the Civil War).

1833%202eme%20mod%20bolkantiques-01.jpg

I do have an Italian 1858 copy and I like the feel and balance of that pistol. Rather have a rifle or a double shotgun, however.

Norinco said:
Were any of the London Navies originally with squareback?
The book "COLONEL COLT LONDON" by Joseph G. Rosa, 1976 (copy 229/1000) shows one squareback 1851 Colt and says it is "most unusual".

There may be some question as to whether it was actually made in London because the barrel is stamped "SAML COLT NEW-YORK CITY" but the marking has arrows which were used by the London company before and after the stamping.

The book also shows several Colt Dragoons with square backed trigger guards but generally speaking I think it is safe to say that "almost" all 1851 London Colts had the rounded trigger guard.

For me theres something about the Colt 51' that I just don't quite get with a Colt 60', magical? I dunno but of the models I've seen and hefted, the 49', 51', 58', 60', 62', the 51' does it for me with the 60' a close second. The Remington although I like, just doesn't fit my hand much to my dismay.

Blizzard of 93 said:
as the OP says the time is 1862. the big bore front stuffer was definitely more powerful then early breech-loaders (which were quicker reloading - for 'social purposes' as you aptly put it).
the smooth bore pistol would be my preference for takeing game and birds on the move, and yes I can shoot my Remmy and ROA well. the added logistical problem of carrying a bag of shot and wadding could be dealt with easily enough - mind that a pack animal or 2 would be taken.

Before handicapping myself with a SB pistol I would try shooting small stuff with a revolver.
At the RANGE a SB pistol is EFFECTIVE on small game the revolver is still a better all around choice.
Or just use head shots with a rifle.
Dan

I've always been a fan of the colts, and still await the pleasure of handling a remmy for the first time. I'm most familiar with the 1860 and '62, so that'd be my choice. In the meantime I'd apply for a job at Hartford, and see if the Col. would be interested in MY brand new design, featuring a swinging link, tilting barrel, and bushing (along with this new-fangled brass cartridge). Came up with it all by meself. :grin:

not sure on when it was released but if it was available, I would be using a spencer rifle along with either a 1851 or 1860 colt. Would also be riding with the rebs.

1911nutjob said:
In the meantime I'd apply for a job at Hartford, and see if the Col. would be interested in MY brand new design, featuring a swinging link, tilting barrel, and bushing (along with this new-fangled brass cartridge). Came up with it all by meself. :grin:
BAH!! Don't bother, it'll never catch on! :grin:

Latest posts

Back