• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

it's 1862, what pistol would you carry?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tn.jpg
bam?

Looks like a sore knuckle in your future from the trigger guard.

See your little finger off the bottom of the grip? You won't have that with the 60.

yea that big ol remmie looks like a cap gun! :rotf: my trigger finger is kinda tight in there too! i didnt send it back and get the 60 cause i had alredy re done the grips. they were basically un finished and almost black from being oil soaked in a plastic bag but im savin now for a 60

I'd still send it back. They just stick them in the bargain barrel.

Once you hold the 60 you'll never shoot the 58 again.

well illprobally keep it hate to get rid of a {perfectly good gun?} i noticed on some of the colt style pistols the triggerguard is cut away in the back, cant remember which model! my finger wont even fit behind the trigger guard! maybe why im havin a little trouble shootin high? havin to bend my wrist unnaturally downward to get a good sight picture! i guess this pic will settle that argument about man size hands and girly grips :dead: :dead: :dead:

According to Garavaglia and Worman in " Firearms of the American West 1803-1865" supplies were good for civilians and the full flute was very common in early production.
The 1860 was tested by the Board of Ordnance in May 1860 and I suspect it was in serious production by that time, 11 months prior to Ft Sumpter. So there was time for several thousand to go to civilian hands. Given the inspector reject rate of the SAA I suspect that there were rejects in the 1860 production as well that were then sold on the open market just as the SAs were.

Pg 318
"In spite of voracious demands of the Ordnance Department....the Colt factory was still able to supply the Civilian market with all the revolvers it could handle."
Though the Army was in shorter supply than the smaller bore revolvers.

Dan

There is a lightening cut between each chamber on the cylinder. Rather than the cut going halfway back like we're used to on modern revolvers, it went the whole way.

east texas said:
well illprobally keep it hate to get rid of a {perfectly good gun?} i noticed on some of the colt style pistols the triggerguard is cut away in the back, cant remember which model! my finger wont even fit behind the trigger guard! maybe why im havin a little trouble shootin high? havin to bend my wrist unnaturally downward to get a good sight picture! i guess this pic will settle that argument about man size hands and girly grips :dead: :dead: :dead:

You don't want the square trigger guard. It has less room than the round guard. It wasn't offered for 60, so you don't need to worry about it.

I agree.
There was a good reason Colt got rid of that neat looking squareback trigger guard. It can really put a hurt on the shooters finger if a heavy load is fired.

Just remember a SHOOTER buys a gun based upon fit & purpose, a COLLECTOR buys a gun cause it looks pretty :redface: and used guns exist because collectors who start to SHOOT get their knuckles whacked, right Pete?

Dave

My first choice is the 1862 New Army. If I were Jose Wells, I would list about three or four more.

Dan Phariss said:
According to Garavaglia and Worman in " Firearms of the American West 1803-1865" supplies were good for civilians and the full flute was very common in early production.
The 1860 was tested by the Board of Ordnance in May 1860 and I suspect it was in serious production by that time, 11 months prior to Ft Sumpter. So there was time for several thousand to go to civilian hands. Given the inspector reject rate of the SAA I suspect that there were rejects in the 1860 production as well that were then sold on the open market just as the SAs were.

Pg 318
"In spite of voracious demands of the Ordnance Department....the Colt factory was still able to supply the Civilian market with all the revolvers it could handle."
Though the Army was in shorter supply than the smaller bore revolvers.

Dan
Dan: Thanks for looking that up. I have both volumes of Garavaglia and Worman too. Should have occurred to me to check!

What about a collector who is a shooter? :blah: The guns I buy are the ones I love. But the only ones I'll keep are the guns I shoot. Make sense?
:thumbsup:

bdhutier said:
What about a collector who is a shooter? :blah: The guns I buy are the ones I love. But the only ones I'll keep are the guns I shoot. Make sense?
:thumbsup:

No, not to me. I don't have money to throw away. So I only buy what fits me and that I'll shoot. Not the least bit interested in collecting, just pumping lead. Never bought a gun cause of looks, only bought them because of what they can/do that's somewhat different than what I've already got. In my entire life I've only ever sold ONE gun, and it had a release trigger that I couldn't get used to no matter what I did.

If I had more money, I'd buy more
Colts and then fly over to Pete's place so he could teach me some tricks :grin: :wink: .

Dave

Agreed, though I don't think I correctly articulated what I meant to say. My general rule is, one weapon for one purpose. Example: I have one BP shotty, one CF shotty. One hunting RB BP, one CF hunting rifle. One BP handgun, one CF handgun. And so on. I figure if I have 4 rifles appropriate for deer, I'm only really going to be shooting one rifle, therefore three collect dust. There's no point in having the other three. If I have a need, I buy the weapon I want to fill that need. If I want a 2-band Enfield, but I'm always going to grab the Renegade .50 to go hunt, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to get the Enfield too, does it?

See what I mean?

Now, there are exceptions, of course. If I saw a shootable Ordnance version '97 Winchester for $200, it'd be at my house before you could spit... :grin:

if headed to a fight a .44 Remmy and spare cylinder. as back up to a breechloader carbine.
the same if headed into the frontier but possibly a big-bore muzzler - maybe a .54 or .58 and a smoothy front-stuffer capper pistol of same caliber for prbs and shot for small game - say the goose/turkey shot size

Back