• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

it's 1862, what pistol would you carry?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was thinking about this... year is 1862, what would you carry? Either to Civil War battlefield, or to the western frontier?

Personally I'd carry a Belt Pistol of Naval Caliber (aka 1851 Navy). Seems to me to be best compromise between power and weight, plus availability of parts.

I like My 1858 New Army in 44 I think it is good for the battle field or the frontier.
Just my .02

As a civilian i'd carry an 1860, and have the barrel shortened to 5 1/2". As was done back then.

Colt 1860

Then I'd attempt to make a magazine fed, straight blowback, open bolt pistol from scratch firing some sort of rimfire cartridge available then. Haha

1858 here too, But if its 1862 then I'm going to be packing several because I'm riding with a Southern cavalry unit. :thumbsup:

Either a .44 Kerr, a Beaumont-Adams or Deane, an Adams & Deane Dragoon in .50 cal.. Short of that, a Colt 2nd model Dragoon belly gun.

CP

Well If I had to go to war it would be one of Dr. Richard J. Gatling new guns. :grin: As a civilian it would be my 1858 New army. For me it works and I can shoot a milk jug at 100 yards. Tho Milk jugs do not fight back. :rotf:

'51 Navy, probably. I'd like the extra lead of a .44, but the .36 did the job fine as far as I can tell. I'd imagine the '60 Army would have been tougher & more expensive to get your hands on at the time, with the war in full swing. I could be wrong, but I'd think the well-proven by then Navy would have been cheaper and more available with its earlier release.

Dragoon would be great, but not an ideal daily-carrying iron, with the extra almost 2lbs.

ETA: I'm assuming you're meaning as a civilian. If I was a soldier, I'd probably have whatever the Army issued me!

I'd carry a 1858 rem. and extra cylnders. be sides the army ishued 1861 springfield musket.

With out a doubt, 1858 Remington.
But my personal preference is the 1851 Colt. It just maybe the best feeling pistol ever made but the Remmy has it all over any of the Colts, if your life depends on it.

Yup; tough choice for me between the '51 Navy & the Remington. The Colt points better but the Remington is a bit more accurate for me & hits harder :hmm:

My Colts all hit high. I intend to remedy that with taller front sights. Also the frame notch in the Remmie is easier for me to see than the hammer notch on the Colts.

Latest posts

Back