• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

it's 1862, what pistol would you carry?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Remington .36 hit harder than a Colt .44 or .36?

Wild Bill shot a guy in the heart at 75 yds with a Colt 51.

Just a question to no one in particular...

If it's 1862, isn't it true you couldn't carry a '58 Remington because they weren't available until '63? Or am I wrong on this?

(Unless y'all are referring to the Remington-Beals..?)

Homesteader said:
Just a question to no one in particular...

If it's 1862, isn't it true you couldn't carry a '58 Remington because they weren't available until '63? Or am I wrong on this?

(Unless y'all are referring to the Remington-Beals..?)

Yes, the 58 is misleading.

What was the price of lead, powder, and caps back then in relation to an average wage?

Norinco said:
What was the price of lead, powder, and caps back then in relation to an average wage?

It was really cheap. Along with the wages. I'm not sure if it was much different than now.

I'm not sure they practiced much. Not like we do now. The gunfight myth is all Hollywood.

Gun fights were probably more with rifles behind barriers.

Hmmm, difficult to guess. You'd have to start with: What job would you have, where you'd actually be packin' on a regular basis? Moot point for a factory worker, you know?

I figured that if you could afford a revolver, you could afford to spare a few rounds every month practicing.

The first "1858" was the Remington-Beals which was made in 1861.

An estimated 1,900 were made with about 1/2 going to the Government and the remaining 1/2 going on the civilian market.

This gun, which at first glance looks like the later Remington New Model Army had several problems which led to the later improvements of the "Remington 1861 Army Revolver" followed by the "Remington New Model Army Revolver."
The New Model Army went into production in 1863.

This "new model" is the version most of the folks who own a reproduction "1858" have.

Because 1858 is the date of the Beals patent on the removable cylinder pin and full frame. (The Colt patent had expired the year earlier.) So 1858 is just the term collectors made up to refer to a revolver that was not made until 1863 (or something like that).

The original 1858 Remington .44 revolver model was called the "Remington-Beals". This was the model which was in production at the start of the War Between the States. In 1861, the loading lever was slotted to allow the cylinder base pin to be withdrawn without the loading lever being lowered and a new "1861" patent date stamped on the barrel marking. This is sometimes refered to as the "1861 Army". It became known as the "Old Model Army" in 1863 when Remington made some changes, chiefly removing the slot in the lever, and renamed it the "New Model". The barrels on these were marked with the original 1858 patent and the words "New Model".

tdp76 said:
Was thinking about this... year is 1862, what would you carry? Either to Civil War battlefield, or to the western frontier?

Personally I'd carry a Belt Pistol of Naval Caliber (aka 1851 Navy). Seems to me to be best compromise between power and weight, plus availability of parts.

1860 Army, full flute if I could get it, nothing else even comes close.

Dan

I'd carry an 1851 Navy, I expect. The Remingtons are fine revolvers but the trigger guard raps my middle finger. I'm not sure just how many 1860 Army Colts would have been available to civilians this early in the war, what with the demands of the government needing them for mounted troops. Anyone know?

There is/was a civilian model without the screws for the stock, but i'm not sure when it was released.

I would have found one. :wink:

It was released early enough for civilians in the South to buy a few thousand.

one that fits

dagnab it somebody tell me how to load this pic from my pics! i dont got photobucket and the video tutorial on her is useless to me as i have dial up!!

if its free its for me! let me get on that! have a good picture of a mans hand holding a girly sized pistol id like to show ya gimme a little time dial up is so slow!! mike

Latest posts

Back