• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

it's 1862, what pistol would you carry?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
east texas said:
hey pete to shorten the barrel is it as simple as cutting it off and re crowing?

Yes, but you also have to modify the loading lever, or it looks goofy. I don't use the loading lever, but I couldn't handle the looks of not having it on the gun.

You also need to fit the front sight if you use it. I don't.

kwilfong said:
My Colts all hit high. I intend to remedy that with taller front sights. Also the frame notch in the Remmie is easier for me to see than the hammer notch on the Colts.

Hitting high does not make the Colt inaccurate. It's made to do that. Install a taller front sight.

I guess I should have said the Remingtons are easier for me to hit with rather than "more accurate" :surrender:

Capper said:
As a civilian i'd carry an 1860, and have the barrel shortened to 5 1/2". As was done back then.

Amen, with conicals to boot, on top of well settled fine grain. Although, a thoroughly smooshed ball surely does have a fine front end on it for cutting a hole.

kwilfong said:
I guess I should have said the Remingtons are easier for me to hit with rather than "more accurate" :surrender:

LOL..ok. I will agree the Colt sights aren't the greatest. I used to use them, but I burned more BP than I care to admit learning to just point the gun. I don't use the sights anymore. Admittedly,i'm not shooting paper targets, but gongs in CAS. Since it's a speed event. I found using sights slowed me down. I just point and shoot now. I think it's a bit of an advantage, because I hold the gun low, and the smoke doesn't block my next shot like using the sights does.

Hands down...1858 Remmy. Probably keep a Dragoon on the saddle pommel as a horse pistol for backup, but if I could only pick one; the Remmy.

You know the truth is.....They used rifles most of the time for serious work.

Way more than the movies would lead you to believe.

Yeh, I know that...I guess if it was rifles we were talking about, it might have to be a Sharps, since the High Wall wasn't invented yet.

I think I would choose a Lamat revolver in 42 cal. Having 9 a shot clinder will be nice plus a single 16 gauge of shot.

On the other hand, I think I want a brace of two Lamats :wink:

I would carry this.
2lln7up.jpg

Capper said:
No, probably the Winchester 66 in 44-40. Maybe the Henry.

The Henry and Winchester 1866 were never made in .44-40. Both fired the .44 Henry rim fire.

I would go with at lest 2 1860 Colt Armies

Currently Reenact as a Dismounted Cav for the south and I just do not have enough room on my belt to carry more but then I am carrying 2 cartridge boxes for the carbine :grin: But I agree more is better.

A Brace of '60 Colt Armys. Same weight as one horse pistol, feel & point-ability of the Navy, but in a man-stopper .44 cal.

Dave

They had Lefaucheux pinfires by then right? (Though it's not a cap and ball).

Well, the Prussians had already been issuing Dreyse Needle Rifles for 20 years... And strategic use of railroads... And tactical telegraph... And development of the General Staff concept...

They call the American Civil War the "first modern war..." More like the "last antiquated war," if you ask me... :shake:

i would carry 2 remingtons in .36. .36 because you use less lead and powder then a .44. that savings would alow more pritice. in a remington the .36 still hits harder then a colt. i know because i did some tests years ago. plus the rem. can be carried loaded with 6 with no problems. and if set apond by outlaws or indians those 2 extra shots mite be needed.

Back