• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Italian Date Codes Replaced?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Printing out the Italian mfg. date codes for BP guns, the chart only goes to 2001 or so. Did they
stop the letter codes and replace with a stamped date? I see on the underside of the barrel on
my Pietta 1860 Army, a small stamp 2018. (Not the serial #!). So are they now actually putting
the date on these reproductions? I'm obviously behind the curve here. Thanks.

My newest revolver is a Pietta 1851 Navy and has "2019" under the loading lever and also has the 2 letter date code on the side of the frame. It's the only one I have that has that, not sure when they started doing it.

Here is a more ‘complete’ date code chart.
1627586481614.jpeg

That chart is correct up to 2019, but as someone pointed out to me when I posted it recently that starting in 2020 they did not use a 2 letter code, it was just "20" in the box instead of the CZ listed on the chart.
I was told the change occurred in 2019, but I’ve actually seen a few 2019 and 2020 models with the letter date code. Almost seems optional. Would not be surprised to see either or both on the same gun in the future.

My Pietta 1866 Remington carbine target revolver has the two letter code (CT) in the usual place as well as the year (2018) on the tang. My Pietta 1860 Army just has the number 20 inside a box where one would expect to find the two-letter code.

My Pedersoli Kentucky says "PN" under a little circle next to XX9 and the numbers 580 or 586 under the barrel and on the trigger guard.

Back