• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

IT WAS BOUND TO HAPPEN.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happens less frequent these days than a few years back. Never really a problem just a slight inconvenience but it does serve to be reminded that most of the time it happened, or maybe ALL the time it happened I was distracted by someone who wanted to "jaw" while I was shooting. So essentially, it is a consequence of loss of attention.
Right on with that one. I was preoccupied with turning the elevation/windage screws.

One day I was sighting in a new 40 cal under hammer pistol made by Charles Caywood, that I had bought for my wife. I was on the deck and after about 5 or 6 shots a cap snapped and nothing. Tried another cap and it too went off but no bang. I thought I had dry balled so I pulled the nipple and dribbled as much powder in as I could. Another cap & no bang.

About that time my wife came home and by the colorful language she wanted to know what was wrong. I told her about dry balling it and she said let me see it. She held the pistol barrel pointing up and took the steel ram rod and dropped it in the barrel. It clinked when it hit the breech plug :oops:. My wife then blew into the nipple and confirmed her suspicion the gun was not loaded. She loaded it up and put a round in the 10 ring on the target from 25 yards away. She handed the pistol to me and went inside the house without as much as a chuckle.

Make yourself one of these. Thread the end to match whatever the threads are on your particular gun. Use any compressor or hand pump to push the ball out. wrap the muzzle in some rags to catch the ball.

I'm lovin' this idea.
I'll be making one today, thanks!

-Doc

I'm lovin' this idea.
I'll be making one today, thanks!

-Doc
Do be careful using one of those in your basement. The ball comes out with a fair bit of velocity; would give a good bruise, but will also dent appliances and break your beer glass. I get the valve stems from regular tire valves, or bicycle tube valves. I have made a few with different threads to fit Euro stuff. I also have a CO2 discharger. My flinters all have liners with the standard 1/4x28 threads, so these adapters will just screw in, or I can put a nipple in and use the CO2. Fortunately, I have seldom had to use these for myself, but have certainly used them for others; usually after they have broken or tried every puller they could find

Do be careful using one of those in your basement. The ball comes out with a fair bit of velocity; would give a good bruise, but will also dent appliances and break your beer glass. I get the valve stems from regular tire valves, or bicycle tube valves. I have made a few with different threads to fit Euro stuff. I also have a CO2 discharger. My flinters all have liners with the standard 1/4x28 threads, so these adapters will just screw in, or I can put a nipple in and use the CO2. Fortunately, I have seldom had to use these for myself, but have certainly used them for others; usually after they have broken or tried every puller they could find
Thanks for the good advice Doc

Back