• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It took only 4 years.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally after 4 years of move, new house, new wife, etc., this double barrel shotgun is finally done. It began in 2015 with a pair of 20 gauge barrels from Oregon Barrels, a set of locks from L & R and machined breech plugs from a buddy in NC. (I am in NY). Putting the barrels together wasn't bad, so I had hoped to have this gun done in a few months. Wrong. After my wife died in 2013, gun building was always on my mind, but also other social aspects started to emerge. Then a stock was needed so my gun-building friend Chris had the wood and was able to put in the barrels, however he went through many personal issues including moving, girl friend issues, etc. We are now into year two or so. Meanwhile I met a lady who is now my wife and of course the necessary courting etc. took away from the gun. But after moving with her I got interested in building and thus a Kibler, English Pocket Pistol and a plains style half stock pistol took preference over the double but seeing as how I still didn't have the stock and barrels to work on yet, it really didn't matter.

Finally in December of 2018, I got the stock with barrel and the rest is now history.

I shot it today using 60 grains FFFg, 1 oz #5 shot and with the Skychief loading method. The shots were from 25 yards. I shot each barrel twice, noting the right barrel's pattern was a bit left. The targets below were for the second shot of each, at a pigeon, this time on the backside to the cardboard from the first shots. You can see the patterns of each barrel. The card boards are about 19" square. Also note on the second target, shot 2, left barrel, the Olive oil saturated 1/2" cushion wad hit the board just below the pigeon. I am satisfied with the shooting results.

Right barrel:

Left barrel:

Being retired does have its benefits. Just took 4 years to build this one. At that rate I will need to live another 40 years to make all guns I want. Good luck on that.

Awesome, extremely impressed.
Glad you got settled after a terrible experience too!

If it were me I would shoot it in the field before adjusting POI. One could off that much anyways !

Finally after 4 years of move, new house, new wife, etc., this double barrel shotgun is finally done. It began in 2015 with a pair of 20 gauge barrels from Oregon Barrels, a set of locks from L & R and machined breech plugs from a buddy in NC. (I am in NY). Putting the barrels together wasn't bad, so I had hoped to have this gun done in a few months. Wrong. After my wife died in 2013, gun building was always on my mind, but also other social aspects started to emerge. Then a stock was needed so my gun-building friend Chris had the wood and was able to put in the barrels, however he went through many personal issues including moving, girl friend issues, etc. We are now into year two or so. Meanwhile I met a lady who is now my wife and of course the necessary courting etc. took away from the gun. But after moving with her I got interested in building and thus a Kibler, English Pocket Pistol and a plains style half stock pistol took preference over the double but seeing as how I still didn't have the stock and barrels to work on yet, it really didn't matter.

Finally in December of 2018, I got the stock with barrel and the rest is now history.

I shot it today using 60 grains FFFg, 1 oz #5 shot and with the Skychief loading method. The shots were from 25 yards. I shot each barrel twice, noting the right barrel's pattern was a bit left. The targets below were for the second shot of each, at a pigeon, this time on the backside to the cardboard from the first shots. You can see the patterns of each barrel. The card boards are about 19" square. Also note on the second target, shot 2, left barrel, the Olive oil saturated 1/2" cushion wad hit the board just below the pigeon. I am satisfied with the shooting results.

Right barrel:

Left barrel:

Being retired does have its benefits. Just took 4 years to build this one. At that rate I will need to live another 40 years to make all guns I want. Good luck on that.
Very very nice

Most sincere compliments on the fine looking double!

Also nice to see a man that has his priorities right......great pictures of the fine double and none of the new wife>
You're doing well young man...doing well.
All the best!
Fred

Right barrel:

Left barrel:

Great looking shotgun. Definitely worth the wait. Patterns look good. Time to take it out for Turkey or pheasant.

My first build spanned about 15 years. Similar situation as you, (only have had same wife the whole time). Started project, moved to a new house, lost one job, got another, then back to original job, then laid off, then retired, then almost sold kit, then decided to finish it. Then around 2014, finished it up. Have killed two deer with it since. Now into my third build, a .32 caliber squirrel gun. Completed a 20 gauge smoothy about two winters ago.

Latest posts

Back