• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It may be a long shot but...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Crawford

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I just acquired a Dixie Gun Works Southern Mountain Rifle. It is most likely from an early 1970s manufacture as it is a 2000s serial number. The frizzen screw is worn and I've not had luck in looking into where I might find one online. I know these Miruko (sp?) locks are hard to find, I know that Dixie does not carry parts for them. I also know that L&R has a replacement lock, but I'm not in position to buy one just yet so I hope to keep this lock working well for a few years. What I don't know is if there may be some place I should look to find it that you more experienced individuals know of?
The frizzen wobbles just a bit when up, it sits tight when down over the pan. Currently I put some Teflon tape in the gap and created a leather washer to stabilize it. This is merely a band aid that will let me put some rounds down range. The more I shoot the more it will wear on the screw and wobble worse.
I'd appreciate any advice you might have.

I called Dixon's and they said they had nothing that would work.
Does anyone have any suggestions on who I might contact concerning this or ideas for how I better stabilize the frizzen?
I thought I could drop a thin layer of solder in the hole in the frizzen then drive the screw through and tighten it down.
I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone can offer.

Try Track Of The Wolf or maybe Mike Belliveau (Duelist1954) or anyone who builds muzzleloaders, maybe another member knows of some builders that may be able to help.

Just out of curiosity, what did Dixie say when you talked to them? They are usually (at least they used to be) very dedicated at helping you find parts, particularly for guns with the Dixie name on them.

Just had that thought @LawrenceA as I was coming back on to check in on threads. While I'm no machinist...heck I'm not a craftsman at much of anything...I've got a really good friend who works with some master machinists.
I just wrapped the screw with flat dental floss as a temporary band aid and it will work for a range session, I think. I appreciate the suggestion! Going to have to get in touch with my buddy.

Dixie does have some parts for those rifles, including a frizzen spring screw for a right hand lock, if that is what you are looking for. It showed in stock when I looked

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...ew+-+For+the+RH+Tennessee+Mountain+Rifle+Lock
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...ixie+TN+Mountain+and+Squirrel+Rifles?view_all
I picked one of those up a couple years ago, having wanted one for years and founds they had a few parts, but fewer every year. I know L&R makes replacement locks for them so they may be a source for just a screw as well.

If you have not already called or Emailed Dixie I would do so as they have always been very helpful in finding parts.

I'm not looking for the spring screw rather the one that holds the frizzen in place. I could call them but was told by another that they didn't have them and couldn't find it on the website.

I'm not looking for the spring screw rather the one that holds the frizzen in place. I could call them but was told by another that they didn't have them and couldn't find it on the website.
Guess it’s best not to call them and ask..... In the past Dixie has helped me find items not shown on their web page, but I agree if someone told me they didn’t have parts there is no point in calling them.....

I just acquired a Dixie Gun Works Southern Mountain Rifle. It is most likely from an early 1970s manufacture as it is a 2000s serial number. The frizzen screw is worn and I've not had luck in looking into where I might find one online. I know these Miruko (sp?) locks are hard to find, I know that Dixie does not carry parts for them. I also know that L&R has a replacement lock, but I'm not in position to buy one just yet so I hope to keep this lock working well for a few years. What I don't know is if there may be some place I should look to find it that you more experienced individuals know of?
The frizzen wobbles just a bit when up, it sits tight when down over the pan. Currently I put some Teflon tape in the gap and created a leather washer to stabilize it. This is merely a band aid that will let me put some rounds down range. The more I shoot the more it will wear on the screw and wobble worse.
I'd appreciate any advice you might have.

Call Log Cabin, they will repair it. They have done repairs for me on locks.

Not sure what the diagnosis on the problem is. If the screw is stripped out. Hole through the frozen a little oversized, or other. If the threads are stripped, a new screw may not help. Have you tried lock-tite?

Or you could have someone redrill and retap to a larger size screw. This one may be metric threads If made in Japan. You may be able to go up one size in standard. If it stays closed, it actually should not have Much impact if if is slightly loose on adequately firing the gun. Only if it is bouncing back and dulling your flint After the hammer strike.

I have known some who have shot several matches without a frozen spring and a floppy frozen. not recommended, but can be done.

I needed gunscrews, and the local gunsmith made mine from blank screws he had. Does your local gunsmith have screw blanks? If not, pulling the lock and showing it to a competent Machinist would get it done. Tinhorn.

Any machinist should be able to make a new screw, or rebore for a slightly larger one. I bet that somewhere close to you, a retired tool and die maker with a little shop in his garage would find it a trivial undertaking, and probably be glad to do it.

I doubt an original screw would fix much, the plate and frizzen should be reamed slightly larger and a new screw should be made to fit. Not a difficult job if you have the right equipment.

Back