• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

It just was not right!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In spring I replaced the short grained Pedersoli rammer on my Indian trade gun with a Delrin rod.
It works fine but it ain't right, it ain't wood!
So I orders some doweling and butchers a 6.5mm Swede case to form a rammer.
Now some of you may sniff but now I can sleep again! :)
IMG_20191015_203929634.jpg

B.

Nothing quite has the feel of wood .
Delrin and synthetic stocks just don't feel right.

I am concerned though, that you don't seem to have an easily accessible source for ramrod tips in the UK.
What did you do with your original tips ?

I've done that in the past; used pistol cartridge cases, but if you could find such a thing, I suspect that it might be a gaoling offense, if the constable were to note it.
Still, a good solution you've worked.
No sir, I can go buy brass cases or beg some if I needed.
I use to reload all my rifle cartridges. I sold and gave the gear away. Only have rimfires now.

Looks good to me Brit. It'll look even better once that brass gets dirtied up some.
I just made an antler handled short starter. I had some hickory for the shaft and an old ram rod tip for the end of it, but was lacking the small "starter" piece/nub that is used to first start a PRB into the bore. I ended up drilling the spent primer out of a 22-250 case, used a drill bit slightly smaller than the diameter of the head of the case to give it a concave head that sits over a .530 RB nicely, and then cut it off and set it into the antler. Not PC, but pleasing to me to use none the less.

I used small pistol brass and 5/16" wooden ramrod to make a short starter for my .40 and .36. It is lighter than the solid brass rod type with the round wooden ball. Waste not want not!!!

It used to amaze me how folks in the more regulated country’s manage to make do. Then I became friends with fellow from New Zealand and on his visit here he often commented on how we in America can get anything and often locally. We went to visit him at his home and that drove it home! To get the most common items was an effort and special things like gun parts is near impossible. He routinely made parts that I just buy. I love this country!

Back