• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

It has come to my attention

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
That I failed to post an intro thread. Okay, I'm fixing that.

I live in Missouri on the west side of the state. Yeah, there, with the football team.

I got my start in black powder in 1970 with the acquisition of a poor boy smoothbore percussion in 45 caliber. I foolishly traded it off for a cheap copy of a Colt 1851 in 36. What a piece of junk that was. It went away sometime in the mid 70s.

I went a lot of years without a front loader concentrating on bow hunting and such. In around 1985 or so I bought a T/C Hawken flintlock kit in 50 cal. I took a few deer with it, but became frustrated with it and the flinching it caused. In the days before the internet, there was no one to help explain to me how to get the lock to fire reliably and quickly. I ended up giving it to a friend.

I replaced the Hawken with a Pennsylvania Hunter also in 50 cal. I've had much more success with it, including this year. I took an 8 point buck the first week of January in the snow. That rekindled my love of black powder that had laid dormant for a while. I was able to recover the flintlock Hawken I built years ago.

In searching for more information about it, I stumbled into here. Should have done it long ago.

That's an Airedale. That particular one is Jane that died 9 years ago. I replaced her with Gabe who is now 8. He's also 100 pounds of fun. He's turned into a pretty good squirrel dog, although he loves groundhogs, too.

I saw the Terrier in her but wasn't sure. Airedales change so much from puppyhood it can be hard to identify them when their young. Spirit is 12 and was a rescue. We got papers with him and he works as a therapy dog going to schools and libraries for the PAWS reading program. Mosby is a therapy dog also as was our previous Setter. Spirit is our 2nd. Airedale and our first dog was an Airedale/Lab mix.

Welcome. Glad to see hunters/shooters in western Mo. My grandson just moved to K-City, Mo and needs to settle in and make a couple of connections to get his feet on the ground there.

Howdy from AZ. I had a german shepherd who married an airdale named Fish. She had a partner named WoJo too. They made some insanly smart pups (and one that didnt like BP rifles, he went shooting once and never has been seen again).

Back