• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It finally happened....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It hit the top off the shoulder blade and barely caught the bottom of the spine I believe went in between two ribs on the other side and was stuck right inside of the hide .... I would have thought it would have passed through at that distanced.... Not sure why It didn't... Need to figure out how to get better penetration

You may actually get better penetration with a lighter load..... Those soft lead balls pancake when they hit hard stuff going fast (or even soft stuff) but being under the hide is common. My .50 with the 360 grain Lee Minnie won't exit often if the range is real close...... Bullet ends up about the size of a half dollar though and leaves a heck of a hole .... It will always exit over 60 yards though when it's lost a little steam...... Velocity isn't the killer in a muzzleloader it's good ol trauma and hemorrhaging..... I wouldn't worry about penetration too much it should be fine and if you have doubts back it off a little. Round ball loses speed so fast there's really no reason to crank them way up other than maybe a ever so slightly flatter trajectory.

Congrats I too took my first roundball deer with my GPR .54 flintlock and my homemade black powder. What a fantastic feeling to take such an amazing animal like the forefathers. Nice buck mine was a little button buck.

It hit the top off the shoulder blade and barely caught the bottom of the spine I believe went in between two ribs on the other side and was stuck right inside of the hide .... I would have thought it would have passed through at that distanced.... Not sure why It didn't... Need to figure out how to get better penetration

What did the ball look like ? Here is mine shot at 50 yards, ball smacked in the middle bridge of the nose and out the back of his head found it in the base of the neck just under the hide. I could probably shoot it again lol.

Attachments

• 20211206_175011.jpg
    20211206_175011.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 21
What did the ball look like ? Here is mine shot at 50 yards, ball smacked in the middle bridge of the nose and out the back of his head found it in the base of the neck just under the hide. I could probably shoot it again lol.
Wow that doesn't look to deformed at all I'll try to upload a pic of mine tomorrow it's in the door of my pickup truck mine was definitely more deform than that..... Did you cast your own ball... I was wondering if there was just a hardness difference in the lead

Latest posts

Back