• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It’s getting pretty bad!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are having the same issues up here in canukastan. I thought it was our border control preventing ammunition from coming up from the US. Now that I’m hearing from you folks that begs the question, why the shortages?
Some companies were compelled to shut down or furlough some employees. Materials were not being shipped in previous quantities, if being shipped at all. All of this caused people to panic and panic-buying became the norm. People that were anti-gun or just did not own a gun were out buying guns and ammo. The U. S. A. had about 8 million first time gun buyers in 2020 and 2021. Those people wanted ammo, powder, primers and such. People that had percussion muzzleloaders were buying flint guns because flints are (were) easier to get than percussion caps. Some companies could not ship their manufactured guns because they could not get cardboard shipping boxes. --- Things are getting better. Most surviving companies are back in production. They are concentrating on the most common items first, like popular cartridges. It takes time to tear-down and reset their production lines, so they want to get production ahead of the demand before switching to less desired and profitable items. ___ I work in a gun store and I have seen all of this firsthand. We never used to buy previously owned ammunition from customers. Today, we do it often and make trades of customer ammo for our guns and other supplies. --- My advice is don't panic. Don't waste your supply. When you find stuff be courteous of the next customer, leave some items for them. --- Think of all the people that hoarded toilet paper and after the scarcity tried to return it to the stores. Work together. We can and will get thru this.

There are not too many places that have very many muzzleloaders in stock. Not that I’m needing another one, but just try to find a GPR, Gemmer or the new ones made by Pedersoli.
I was at the Gun Works in Springfield, Oregon the other day. They just got in the last of the Lyman Muzzleloaders, mostly GPRs but maybe a Deerstalker or two. They haven't had time to put them on their website yet. Give them a call @ 541-741-4118.

Walt

Got my caps from the place in Ky. Was going to order some for the club today, Joliet Muzzleloaders, now it's in store pickup only.
Honestly, I cannot blame retailers for limiting purchases on some things when in short supply. First, if he sells out, he's lost the item that is drawing customers at that moment. Better to have potential purchasers come in the store where the customer may well buy additional items. Second, by making one customer happy, he's lost the attention of other customers. Third, many things right now are extremely difficult for distributors and retail stores to acquire and resupply nearly impossible. Now ..price gougers? That's a whole other thing.

Honestly, I cannot blame retailers for limiting purchases on some things when in short supply. First, if he sells out, he's lost the item that is drawing customers at that moment. Better to have potential purchasers come in the store where the customer may well buy additional items. Second, by making one customer happy, he's lost the attention of other customers. Third, many things right now are extremely difficult for distributors and retail stores to acquire and resupply nearly impossible. Now ..price gougers? That's a whole other thing.
There's a lot of price gouging going on up here in canukastan, primers are going for $100.00 per tray, a tin of CCI percussion caps are priced at 25.00 for example... if they can be found.

Same thing here. For a while, old stock was showing up on occasion, but I've personally only seen that lately with uncommon brands that apparently were sitting on warehouse shelves somewhere. Dog-eared boxes and sticky stuff from removed prices tipped off buyers but didn't stop some from purchasing. I sold some primers from the 1930's to a guy on Friday night who came back on Saturday & bought the rest of what I had. Said the ones he tried all went off. Anyway ...

Ordered a dozen 3/8" hickory dowels once from a muzzleloading supplier. Still have most of them as they have grain runout. They are milled, not split and shaped. My long gone local black powder shop (Jerry's) had a barrel full. One could pick and choose. The local hardware store dowels are all ramin wood, which while not period, are mostly very straight, fine grain and durable.

you mean lacking the necessary tools, that can very easily be remedied. You don't need many. If you can hang a picture, whittle a toothpick from a stick, put up a shelf, or paint the bathroom, you have the beginnings of skills necessary to build a muzzleloader.
On this issue:
I have a friend who is a member here. Says he cant put Legos together with his kids. Not everyone is wired the same way to just grab some tools and go to work.

I used to play guitar, gave up, I was never going to Chet Atkins or Eddie Van Halen, or even passably good. People have skills, they're not all the same.

Some people take to tools like a duck to water, some are good at visualizing, some are woodworkers, some metal, others have the patience to engrave. Muzzleloaders are a mix of skills necessary to finish the product.

I have another friend that likes to make all of his supporting equipment, I told him the other day that his wooden shooting box looks like a plumber made it.

Powder and caps are the two things I need that I can’t or won’t produce for myself and hopefully will back in full supply soon rather than later. What I don’t get is the idea that people are said to be leaving the hobby yet the prices and demand for muzzleloading guns is higher than it’s ever been.

My local shop received 35,000 caps a couple of months ago. They started out at $12.75 with one tin per day. I have no idea if the price set was dependent upon Dealer cost.

Not long after that, it went to one per week, which is what I would have expected in the beginning. The price went to $13.25. They are currently out again and have no idea when they'll get more.

I pray that they kept some in the back for someone purchasing their first Muzzie. Buying a Percussion Front Stuffer without caps is like swinging a Metal Detector without batteries. Nothing happens!

Walt

It’s getting pretty hard trying to find items for muzzle loading in stock any more. I think we will need to learn how to make things that we need, like they used to.
Back when I started this long road in the dark ages (my hair was dark back in the previous century) we needed to make things if we wanted to have decent shot pouches, clothing and firearms. Because the research was really in its infancy, we (I in particular) made many mistakes in historical aspects of our construction. However, we had books by Gehret, "Rural Pennsylvania Clothing" and Gilgun, "Tidings of the Eighteenth Century" to help with making clothing. There was a book by Walker on "Black Powder Gunsmithing" that covered details of gunmaking not covered by Alexander et. al.

I have recently been looking at the poches I made to compare to some of the recent pouches made by member's of my gun club that have taken some courses on historical pouch making. Mine are functional, but certainly not as nice as these recent pouches.

The good news, @Boomerang, is that there are still resources for us to learn how to make the items we need. We can learn the skills to make these items and while some may be costly as a Kibler kit can be, there is a lot available for us to make.

I am a skilled metal worker. 40 years Tool & Die. Carving wood just is not my skill. The few muzzleloaders I have built are functional but thats about it.

Luckily, I have a "mom & pop" shop right down the street from me that cater to muzzleloaders and shotgunners ( trap, skeet) Have had no issues getting anything for my muzzleloaders.

Wow, I live in a state that sells NO BLACK POWDER, NO FLINTS, NO (store bought) PATCHES, NO RIFLE BAGS, NO SHOT BAGS - NOTHING 'FLINTLOCK' oriented and very very little Percussion oriented. Ammo dealers around here never have to caliber RBs I need.

But thanks to a thing called the "Internet" I have no trouble finding what I need. But due to my situation; I don't buy just one or two pounds at a time or just a few flints or cap tins at a time.

Powder and caps are the two things I need that I can’t or won’t produce for myself and hopefully will back in full supply soon rather than later. What I don’t get is the idea that people are said to be leaving the hobby yet the prices and demand for muzzleloading guns is higher than it’s ever been.
I have posted this numerous times and I will again. Powder is available from Travelers Antiques in Texas and from Crater Fireworks in IL. Caps are available from both with strings attached. I have purchased from both and they are legit. Powder can be had from Travelers for as low as $23.01 a pound shipped to your door (bulk fffg Shuetzen). $23 a pound shipped is not bad at all! Travelers has Swiss and Shuetzen factory packaged in all granulations and fffg Shuetzen bulk (Travelers Powder).

I have came to a crossroad where I only have a couple modern guns. I don't hunt much at all, turkey and squirrel. I'm getting a decent Muzzeloader collection and maybe will get to the point that's the only weapon I will hunt turkey and squirrel. Long as I can get a little stock supplies and get my ball making equipment the other thing is getting good enough patterns with my fusil to take those two critters I would be content.I was into reloading for a few years and always got into odd calibers. Not interested in that now. Thank God for what I do have.

One of the things I like about this game is making your own items I make all of my own stuff except for powder and caps/flints as I am knapping impaired and too clumsy to make those little caps.

Latest posts

Back