• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

It’s getting pretty bad!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome - it's simple. Not always pleasant, sometimes painful, but it's what folks need to do. Makin' do with what you've got is likewise not our first choice, but at least in this GREAT nation, we can decide what's important and what's not.

In my view from the sight of dimming lights, old age gives a clearer view of how decisions that seemed minor at the time were really bad or good. Shooting stuff is an excellent example. Guns last forever, components expended are gone. Buy a gun in a new-to-you caliber? Buy a mold. If it takes a (gasp) cartridge. buy a mold and dies. Never shoot the last can of powder nor last brick of caps. Rotate oldest first & "get while the gettin's good". Learn to knap flints.

If you're passionate about shooting "our guns", blowing your wad on an expensive gun won't be the ticket to extending the fun. Build up your cache first and use it wisely. "Happy Times" are a-changin'.

I spent 4 hours checking out the Knoxville TN gun show Saturday while wearing this sign (tastefully and frugally made from the side of a 24 pack of Coke Zero). ONE PERSON came up and talked with me about black powder and muzzleloading. There were over a thousand people there, no one was interested in muzzleloaders.
Same deal at the national gun day show in Louisville. Lots of muzzleloaders, lever guns, and older guns. Nobody was looking them or buying. I bought a never fired Ultra Hi Miroku 45 with the one piece proofed barrel. Guy wanted $300. I gave him $260. Looks like a nice gun and clean shiney bore. I plan on buying whatever I see if it's it's under $350.

There are lots of folks unlike you, who are not capable of building a gun.
Unable? You mean physically incapable through degenerative diseases, or through no fault of their own mentally deficient? OK, under such conditions, these folks get a well deserved pass. Otherwise this conclusion seems a bit overdrawn, I think.

If you mean lacking the necessary tools, that can very easily be remedied. You don't need many. If you can hang a picture, whittle a toothpick from a stick, put up a shelf, or paint the bathroom, you have the beginnings of skills necessary to build a muzzleloader.

Sorry dude, I hate to sound harsh, but I don't buy excuses.

Now if you don't want to build a muzzleloader....well that's perfectly legitimate.

Unable? You mean physically incapable through degenerative diseases, or through no fault of their own mentally deficient? OK, under such conditions, these folks get a well deserved pass. Otherwise this conclusion seems a bit overdrawn, I think.

If you mean lacking the necessary tools, that can very easily be remedied. You don't need many. If you can hang a picture, whittle a toothpick from a stick, put up a shelf, or paint the bathroom, you have the beginnings of skills necessary to build a muzzleloader.

Sorry dude, I hate to sound harsh, but I don't buy excuses.

Now if you don't want to build a muzzleloader....well that's perfectly legitimate.
"Sorry dude, I hate to sound harsh, but I don't buy excuses."

If folks cannot put powder in a powder flask, how do you expect them to build a rifle?

If folks cannot get a stuck ball or brush out of a bore, how do you expect them to build a rifle?

Folks cannot use a mico. to measure cloth thickness to make patches, how can they build a rifle?

Kits come up for sale all the time where someone could not complete it.

Need any more examples? If so, just read on the Forum, it is loaded with examples!

If folks cannot put powder in a powder flask, how do you expect them to build a rifle?

If folks cannot get a stuck ball or brush out of a bore, how do you expect them to build a rifle?

Folks cannot use a mico. to measure cloth thickness to make patches, how can they build a rifle?

Need any more examples? If so, just read on the Forum, it is loaded with examples!
Like I said, if one is suffering from debilitating diseases like MS, Parkinson's, cerebral palsy, etc. that one gets a free pass. I made the assumption that one wasn't you. If I am mistaken, I apologize.

I am mechanically inclined, many here, are not, i.e. by my prior examples.

One peddle makes it go.

One peddle makes it stop.

Ask these folks where the hood is and they couldn't tell you.

There are lots of folks unlike you, who are not capable of building a gun.

I go to a modern gun store for the services of a great gunsmith there.

On one wall there are numerous ML rifles that a guy has on consignment. He travels and buys rifles as he finds them. They never sell, there is no interest in them.

Rifles are out there, just have to put some effort in finding them. There have been some fine rifles for sale over the years, just have to be patient and have a stash of cash.
Very few people lack the ability to build a gun.

Many people lack patience and determination.

Back