• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Issue with a flying flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdudley

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am having an issue with my flintlock and my flint flying out when I take a shot. I tighten it down, but the next shot or two and it will go flying out again. I have tried changing the leather, and it still happens. What is a girl to do to fix this?

Thanks

I’ve never seen that before. Try thicker leather? Perhaps flatten a lead ball, then try to use lead in place of leather?
Better responses will come.
Walk

Try a flatter flint with more surface area for the leather to grab. You might also have a thin flint and the clamp screw is bottoming out.

Your problem can be seen if the flint isn't flat on top and has that kind of peak that doesn't get a good grip in the leather wrap. In that case you need a very thick leather wrap with a notch cut in the back to allow the flint to sit back far enough in the jaws of the cock. Lead won't necessarily help as it may not be thick enough to grab a peaked flint. Described your flint, I am thinking it is flat on the bottom and has a triangular peak on the top. You could try bevel down so the peak is toward the bottom of the jaws.

Are your flints flat topped or angled? Angled ones can slip. Make sure the flint is all the way back toward the screw threads. You might need to cut or punch a hole in the center of the leather to allow the flint to be positioned all the way back against the threaded bolt. Also, you need to really firmly tightened the bolt.

Some flint shapes are just too peaked.
So I’ve done a non hc fix for bad flints. I’ve superglued leather strip to the flint. And they have held.
Now you have to resharpen the edge and throw it all away when to small to sharpen, you can’t reuse the leather.

This is an L & R lock, and the flint is an English flint. The top doesn't have a large flat surface on it. The leather is thick and has a hole in the back of it. I have heard about using a lead ball to hold flints, we tried a different method with some patching material (I told him that would catch on fire and it did) but it still flew out of the lock. So can you flatten a flint on the top? I am still trying to figure out flintlocks. I am new with those. I have been shooting cap locks for years. But this was one that I happened to win at the NMLRA in June this year.

Congratulations on winning the flintlock.
I have not tried this, but I believe that a flint can be rasped with a good quality rasp. Will not do harm to try, the flint isn't useful the way it is unless you can use a sufficiently thick leather.
Wish you success.

A diamond file or coarse diamond sharpening stone will take material off the flint (can also be used to dress the edge if you don't know how to knap yet).
I'm assuming you are using a commercial leather flint pad sold for the purpose. These are often too thick and too stiff in my experience. The thickness wouldn't be bad of it had more "give" so it could conform to the stone and flint jaws. Maybe try getting the leather good and wet and clamp the flint real tight then let it dry?
A picture of your set up would help immensely.

Hi,
My first guess without a photo of the lock is that your flint is too big. How long and wide is the flint you are using and what is the model L&R lock?

dave

I am having an issue with my flintlock and my flint flying out when I take a shot. I tighten it down, but the next shot or two and it will go flying out again. I have tried changing the leather, and it still happens. What is a girl to do to fix this?

Thanks
I'm guessing the cock screw is bottoming out before pressuring up on the leather surrounding the flint. Double up on the leather thickness and try it again would be my advise.

Can you wiggle the flint around, when it is clamped down? Any play at all? That would confirm the Land theory, which makes the most sense.

Robert the Bruce & the spider .' If at first you don't succeed try try again '. Stay with leather I wouldn't use lead in any small lock . I wish you every success . Regards Rudyard

I am still new at this, but the first dozen flints I ordered on the internet from a reputable supplier all cam in with such high peaks on the top of them that 11 of them would not even fit between the jaws of the cock. My lock is on the smaller size. I saw a comment from another poster that referred to a set of diamond wheels sold by Harbor Freight for 11 or 12 dollars. I am sorry but I don't remember his name. I picked up a set of these, chucked them in my electric drill and 30 or 40 minutes later all of the remaining flints had nice flat tops and fit the cock fine. The wheels showed little or no ware and I have found several additional uses for them. Ever since then , I have been buying my flints from Stonewall Creek and they all have been first class so I've not needed to repeat the regrinding. That is not to say there are not other good sources, but that s just where I have had good experiences.

Hope you enjoy this disease as much as I have.

Back