• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Issac Haines .40 cal flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb

54 Cal.
Reaction score
dfc95624.jpg
Cptleo is building a .40 Issac Haines and wanted info about one. He wanted to see what mine looked like. This is the only photo I have of mine, I started it about four years ago and it still looks like this. Have shot it a couple hundred times. Do need to finish it. It is the second from the bottom. Built of Track of Wolf parts, same as their current catalog. Top rifle is my Thomas Oldham .40 Bedford, sterling silver inlays. Next is a .54 Henry Albright flint Lancaster. Then a .54 Christian Hawken caplock Lancaster. Then the .50 cal. "Gun with a Cross" (Photo Forum). Next the Issac Haines and last my .45 Green River Leman Trade rifle. I like the .40 caliber very much. See also "Carole's .40", "Thomas Oldham .40", "Bruner (.40) Flintlock", which also shows my .40 caliber Jacob Wigle Westmoreland Co., PA flinter, in this Photo Forum.

The middle two have pleased owners. Thomas Oldham moved from Bedford Co, PA to Clayton County, Iowa in 1854. Mom graduated from high school with his great grand daughter, Beulah, and I know her and her two daughters. I was born six miles from where Oldham had his farm and blacksmith shop. This rifle is a composite of three he built. I llke the rifle very much, but if someone wanted it, I'd probably build myself another. Testing JeffinNZ's loads the other day in three .40's, this one put six .390 balls with 50 grains of Swiss 3F into 1.0 inch at 50 yards, four of them in .025 on centers, at 2103 fps. He quoted 1850 fps with his Issac Haines, mine got 1788 fps, 6 shots in 2.4". Have polished the crown since that, will test it again. I like it, will have to finish it soon, and if someone wanted it, well, I'd just build something else. The Henry Albright is a very close copy of photos of that rifle, and shoots very well, but my taste is now to shorter and lighter rifles. It could find another home. The Green River Leman is kind of worn, and I have a .54 Orion switch barrel that goes on that stock. I'll keep it.

Herb,
they are beutiful :imo: thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

snake-eyes :) :peace: :)

Hi Herb.
Nice looking pieces.
My .40cal percussion with a 33 inch 'reduced' length Colerain will do +2000fps with 50gr 3Fg Swiss, 0.395 ball, 0.018 patch however the flinter, as stated previously, with the 38 inch barrel will only do 1850fps with the same load combo and Colerain barrel. Both are equally as accurate.
Must be the way the flinter 'breaths' via the vent losing a bit of "UMPH".
What's REALLY interesting though is the percussion rifle barrel was 39 inches but a bit funny looking. Reducing it by 6 inches retained the top end velocity and INCREASED the velocity of lesser charges eg: 30gr went from 1450fps to 1600fps! The long barrel must have been slowing them down once the powder was consumed.

Yeah, Jeff, sometimes you find things out with a chronograph that you didn't expect. That shorter barrel with higher velocity is very interesting. In my .40 Wigle, with 35 grains of Goex 3F and an .018 patch and a .390 ball, I got 1550 fps, but using a .395 ball I got 1497 fps. You'd think a heavier ball might have more pressure and be faster, but I do not find it so. Nice to hear your experience.

Herb,
Please finish that gun before I have a conniption. Shame on you. :crackup:

Chuck

Latest posts

Back