• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Isolation Blues - Not Me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
l'd love to meet you there but the 5200 mile trip might wear me out.
Probably a better idea is to just wish you a good time. :thumb:

Yes, it does seem like a long way to share a half day on a target. I’ll be doing 180 miles which is enough. Thank you for your good wishes, much appreciated. There will be four of us so there is a possibility that we shall raise a glass or two!

Hi John
Are you going to shoot in the MLAGB Surrey Branch "Repeating Piustol Meeting" 26/27 September ?
We don't know (yet) how many of the 20 targets on Cheylesmore "B" we will be allowed to use (pity that you are no longer in the Range Office) -- but there are 5 courses of fire for all types of ML "repeatinmg pistols" (not just revolvers) and you can shoot 2-handed as well as offhand.
I have attached the Entry Form and you can download advice / basic R&Rs etc from the Branch website.

ATB

Jim H.

Attachments

• SURREY BRANCH ENTRYFORM RP Sept2020 200725.pdf
    490.2 KB · Views: 221
Hello Jim,

At present I can’t commit that week-end I’m afraid. Next week-end is planned to be our last one in the caravan as we are giving it up after forty years.

i would love the chance to prop up the prize list 🤡and I’ll let you know as soon as I can.

Sometimes I wish I was back there too, I had so much fun in the Range Office. Did I ever sell you a chestnut license?

i don’t think the current management would approve of my style.

Best wishes.

j

Off to Bisley this morning to clean out the caravan. Sad time but tempered by the knowledge that I’m going to burn some black.

here is my packing list, the guns are already at Bisley, have I left anything out?

Pack for Bisley

Powder charges rifle

Guinness

Powder charges pistol

Guinness

Ramrod (left behind last time)

Guinness

Underwear, one pair (only there four days)

Socks ditto

Cast round ball

Cast Enfield bullets

Lube

Guinness

Cleaning kit

Guinness

Binoculars

Stetson

Beer money

Oh, and Guinness - almost forgot!

🤪🤪🤪

If you get time give me a ring --- come round -- I don't think that you have been in the toyshop --- sadly the "thinning out process" over the last 18 months means that there are 100+ less percussion revolvers than there were, but there are still a few shelves full.

BTW, if you joined the South London R.C. you could book sleeping accommodation. As you know, it's the original Wimbledon building dating from 1874 -- the SLRC dates from 1874. I would be pleased to propose you.

Don't forget the Guinness ;-)

Arrived at Bisley an hour ago. Fish, chips and one cold guinnes happily consumed. I have to tell you that travelling in a black car in 97 degrees (old money) heat is no fun. However I’m here and will be giving my two ROA a run out tomorrow. I might just open up another Guinness berofe I sling my hammock. Goodnight all 🥱

Cold Guinness?
You don't mean, they finally got that old Lucas refrigerator running?
Beware, and don't stand downwind from it. The State of California has classified the smoke from the electrical wiring in Lucas wired cars and appliances as a cancer causing agent. 🤣

Ah, luckily we have two ‘fridges in the caravan, one for food and one for beer! The food ‘fridge may run low occasionally........

Another reason I’m going to miss my caravan at Bisley.

Slight drizzle this morning, can’t sit outside to eat my breakfast. Sitting inside with the door open, in flies a wren, sits on my tea-cup, looks at me for a second or two and then I swear it was laughing as it flew out again🤣🤣🤣

Managed to burn some powder this afternoon.
D9C5593A-6331-427F-AF51-90CDF69A973E.jpeg
D9C5593A-6331-427F-AF51-90CDF69A973E.jpeg

It was FUN!

Yesterday morning I burned more powder and made some new friends. The PH Enfield certainly draws attention on the range. Having reduced my charge to 46gn of 2F most of the 96 shots fired by several different people were in a 1’ circle at 100 yards and my ‘new pattern lube’ of 60/30/10 cooking fat/beeswax/green candle mix left minimal fouling. I‘m using pure lead bullets cast in the Lyman 575213PH mold with the shallow cavity base plug. I didn’t wipe between shots and the bullets, a hammer fit in the muzzle, seated without effort from first to last. Seems I might be getting near the right combination thanks to all the advice I got from you guys. The picture is the first dry patch at the start of the cleaning. I am a very happy grumpy old man. 9FF55D9C-354F-43CE-8078-802A1C7B94C4.jpeg

I don't pay any attention to this virus talk. I get out & shoot at least 3 times week.

Sadly, I have to travel 200 miles to shoot. Used to shoot a couple of times a week in the summer but now that we are giving up our ‘second home’ it’s not going to be so often. Everybody say ‘ahhh!”🥴 As For the virus? I’m with you, (expletive) to it, I want to live, not exist.

Now I’m fed up! Britain is going into lock-down on the day before I had shoot planned. I was hoping to try out the fifty paper cartridges I made for my ROA, and the 1’ larger bullets sized for the Enfield. It was going to be fun. Now it looks like my shooting year is over. Expletives deleted!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back