Isaac Reger, frontier Virginia Militiaman

Discussion in 'Share Your Persona' started by SgtErv, Mar 6, 2016.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Mar 6, 2016 #1

SgtErv

SgtErv

SgtErv

50 Cal.

It's 1774. I have found myself in the Monongahela Valley after having lost my wife, child, and elderly father of fever back in the Shenandoah. My brothers and I split up his land, and since I had no family I sold my share to my brothers.

Although I've laid claim to a good spot of land on a small tributary on the Mon, the current hostilities with the tribes have required every man to bear arms and has interrupted my well laid plans to start anew.

Things are much rougher here than they were back east. I'm regretting not remarrying before coming here, it being near impossible to work the land alone. As such, I've taken to earning my keep through frequent scouting trips and serving as sentries for working parties. We must spy and be vigilant to protect ourselves from the Shawnee, Mingo, and Delaware warriors seeking to cause the settlements injury. Our captain here at Prickett's Fort keeps us well supplied with victuals and clothing for our services, and my new neighbors promise that when the current alarm is over they'll assist in my building a more proper cabin. They are a good, hearty people, and I've no doubt I'll find a new home among them.

2. Mar 13, 2016 #2

Grumpa

Grumpa

Grumpa

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

Well done! :thumbsup:

Is "Isaac Reger" based on an actual person, (Family connection), or someone you made up? Very plausible, and well thought out.

I may have to return to Prickett's Fort and meet "Isaac".

Richard/Grumpa

3. Mar 13, 2016 #3

Grumpa

Grumpa

Grumpa

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

:grin: Just refreshed myself on your post in the F&I War Style Powder Horn thread, re the Reger (Swiss) connection.

4. Mar 13, 2016 #4

SgtErv

SgtErv

SgtErv

50 Cal.

The name is real, but not the circumstances. Needed a plausible reason for me (32) to not have a huge family already.

From most letters from militia officers there was a good number of unattached single guys serving in local militias. They were the ones recruited for the expeditions like the ones led by Brodhead, McIntosh, and even George Rogers Clark. Always wondered their stories.

Thanks. Immersion certainly helps with writing! You get to figure out the details!