• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Isaac Hollis and Son .75 Percussion Sporting Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell Diane Hi for me. Hope I get to see her in Oct.

You have any friends shooting in the World match? If you want me to bring a nipple for you to AU, I can give it to someone to get to you.

My buddy Rick Weber makes them and he could make whatever you need. He could even get it to Kim in June.

Just let me know if I can be of help.
Fleener

Fleener, Kim would be the only chap that I know of at this stage that I have any sort of connection with re the event. I will phone him in a few days and give him a heads up.

Cheers

Heelerau

Rick Weber will be at Friendship in June, and I heard Kim was coming as well.

Shoot Rick an email, tell him I sent you.

Let me know if I can be of help.

Fleener

Gentlemen have settled on 4 drams of FFg, thick greased felt wad over powder thick denim patch, 7 parts water to 1 part Ballistol patch lube. I can hold it in the black at 50 m off the bench, so minute of Tigers Head ! Suspect the rifle has been set up for real short range jungle work. Recoil is fairly lively and you can feel the rifle torque up in your hands. Was using 4 1/2 drams of Fg powder but the first shot always lower than the poa. I find with 4 to 4 1/2 drams of FFg the first ball goes POA. All set up with a platinum cone, and proper j hook swivel slings on a canvas/elk leather sling

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan on shooting a deer this year with my new 12 bore rifle. Just because tigers and lions are hard to find right now.

Fleener

30110661678_cf689689ab_n.jpg
30110661678_cf689689ab_m.jpg
Fleener what does your 12 bore rifle group

Last edited by a moderator:
06E7987D-436D-4513-8771-4463AC23BA34.jpeg
BCE0D23D-F97B-4660-B5CF-CA2D40392289.jpeg
I have only taken this rifle out for one shooting session. The Red Bull was at 36 yards. The point of impact was right and I was driftytje sights left. The black bull is at 75 yards. 85 grains of 2 f Swiss. 580 grain round ball.

Fleener

I wonder if I have been barking up the wrong tree with my ver stiff charges? I just brought mine up to poa by increasing the charges, I have only 1 folding leaf, nothing else, hence thinking it was set up for 50 yards. Your groups are less than half the size of mine.

My rifle only has one rear sight. I started out low with 70 grains. Figured less chance of blowing the old girl up or breaking the stock first time out.

Fleener

Here is a Roundball Display that i took a picture of at October Country Muzzleloading in Hayden (about 45 minutes south of me) They Build Custom Rifles like the “Liver Eating Johnson” etc. etc.
I was intrigued by the 4 Bore, A lead Ball That weighs 1,457 Grains, With a Powder Charge of 400 Grains 2F!!! Something has to Give here, He had a Video on his Laptop of Shooting Frozen 5 Gallon Buckets, AWESOME Destruction!! I had to know how much one of these Rifles would Set me Back? I can’t remember exactly now, But it started at like 15 Grand and went up from there depending on What you wanted? I didn’t need 1 that Bad

iirc the .62 and .72 Are both .72, He was missing the .62 in the Display, Can you imagine the Recoil from this 1,457 Grain Ball with 400 Grains of 2F powder?? The owner told me you didn’t want to shoot it much, 1 time was usually PLENTY Good :eek:

8420ZQ2.jpg

Lewis from Idaho,

A 4-bore well loaded produces over 8,000 ft/Lbs of energy. (Roy Weatherby managed this poundage with a .460") It would knock an elephant down very well. and also whoever was shooting at it if not prepared!
Geo Frederick Selous had a V nasty scar from when his man had inadvertently double loaded his 4-bore elephant gun. stock broke and opened up his cheek badly, and his arm didn't work for a log time!
A pal and myself built a 4-bore back in the UK many moons ago. It was fierce with a decent charge.

Hello Feltwad, it's myself.
The 4-bore slug looks a bit like a grain silo compared to the .577" doesn't it?

Best regards,
Richard.

When the Guy told me that the powder charge was 400 Grains of 2F I thought to myself NO WAY it would burn that amount of powder? But when you think about the Diameter of the 4 Bore, it is VERY plausible that it would Burn that amount. This Guy Owns October Country, He Builds some VERY HIGH end Custom Rifles.

View attachment 250 View attachment 251 I have only taken this rifle out for one shooting session. The Red Bull was at 36 yards. The point of impact was right and I was driftytje sights left. The black bull is at 75 yards. 85 grains of 2 f Swiss. 580 grain round ball.

Fleener
Hello & Good morning guys,
That is impressive shooting for that wall gun.
I am just in my finishing touches of a .75 cal. 42" long American style Jaeger.
I must admit that I have my doubts about shooting this beast.
With the swamped barrel that I have on it, weight is only 7 3/4 pounds.
It is exciting to read each post on the story of this beautiful sporting rifle.
As a side note, have you tried oven cleaner to remove the remaining rust in the barrel. ( it works!)
Be careful that the oven cleaner does not touch the stock.
Fred

Last edited:
Back