• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Isaac Hollis and Son .75 Percussion Sporting Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heelerau

45 Cal.
Reaction score
#6 [-]

Sergeant Major
5 hours ago
Reply Quote Edit More
My Recent Posts
Gentlemen, my mate dropped in the Isaac Hollis Sporting rifle, it is well used but nice and serviceable. Looks like .75 7 wide grooves and very narrow lands, Henry Rifled? I am guessing it uses a patched round ball, the bore is lightly rusted but will likely clean up fine. The cone is pretty worn, has the same thread as the Enfield, but a shorter thread section, by a bit more than one turn, will see if I can get a new one from Track of the Wolf, or make a copper packing washer to take up the extra. I may have to re solder the under rib as it is a little loose near them muzzle. Does anyone have any information regarding these sporting rifles. I see this one has a tiger engraved on the lock plate, so assume it was made for use in India. It has just one single folding rear sight leaf, and has been dovetailed for a double based front sight . I have seen this occasionally on American Long Rifles, but have forgotten as to why. Any information about ball or bullet and charge weights would be appreciated. I just took a look at the inside of the lock, lovely order, Enfield lock, just been tarted up with a civilian pattern hammer, all engraved [

What a treat! That's a beauty.

I've always wondered what a rifled "Bess" would be like, and you'll answer most of my questions, I bet.

Keep us posted on the shooting. If you mention twist rate, I overlooked it. But I'm wondering how large a powder charge you'll need for accuracy. I've taken my Pedersoli Bess "carbine" up to 140 grains of 2f, and it was getting more snorty than I wanted to endure for fun. At the same time, its smooth bore shot better and better, the higher I pushed the charge. :shocked2:

Brown Bear, I have not worked out the rate of twist as yet, have the bore soaking to get rid of the rust, so will know in a day or two. I imagine that it may well take a pretty stiff charge, as it is a "big game" rifle, am hoping that some one may have an idea. I do have some 19 century hunting books so will have a look through and see if they might have any info. If it is supposed to take a bullet rather than a ball, I will have to have a mould made up, probably a minnie, would be best as I doubt the bore will be good enough for paper patched bullets, but early days. Might be a good pig gun !!

Rifle looks like having some where around a 1 in 73 rate of twist. Have heard patched round ball rather than conical, which is a relief. Just have to wait a few more days to clean the bore up, should get to shoot it later next week. I have given it an initial clean, and the bore looks good, there are some hard lumps of rust in the odd spot, no signs of erosion caused by the corrosive caps of the day down at the breech, in fact the bore looks really good down there. Suspect it was a well looked after rifle at one stage, fairly easy as the barrel dismounts. Have tightened the loose hammer, refitted a nail to hold the wedge from dropping out, wedge is now on the correct side and the right way around.

:thumbsup: Wow,I bet that gun could tell some stories! I dream of coming across,something old,
and shootable to boot!Good on you :grin:

Shallow rifling, wide grooves with narrow lands is typical of Forsythe style rifling. They are usually slower twist for shooting heavy charges, but it appears that the muzzle on yours is quite thin. Being that it is 12 bore, I would start at 3 drams and work up.

What does the rifle weigh?

I'm curious if Hollis built this along traditional "Express" rifle lines--a light rifle, large bore,
taking a patched RB and a fairly LIGHT powder charge.

The rifle weighs just under 8 pounds, so pretty light for a large bore. I have down loaded Forsyths Sporting Rifle and its Projectiles to see if I can get any ideas. It actually looks to be closer to .72, so about 12 bore, and I was thinking to try an initial load of 3 Drams of F with a leather patched ball, as the only mould I have is somewhat more under size than ideal, and a few patches of rust might dislodge better with the leather patch. It would seem you can use a lighter charge and still get a good result, I may use it on pig and 3 drams should be fine. The heavier charges will boot much harder in a light rifle. I guess it has been built along express lines, the Track of the Wolf classic English sporting rifle kit does look very similar to this rifle. I will proof the barrel out of the stock with the 3 drams, I do not expect any issues . Thanks for the interest. The twist may be even slower, say 1 in 75 inches

Cheers

Heelerau

Gentlemen, proofed the barrel, all ok. fired 4 shots off the shoulder into a tree 25 paces from the back veranda, grouped about 5 inches, no surprise as the bore still has the odd small piece of rust. Used 3 drams of Fg, greased leather patch and a .69 calibre ball , so not ideal ball size. Recoil pleasant, but a pretty heavy but crisp trigger. I recon after a good 20 or 30 shots the bore should slick up nicely then I will work on ball and patch thickness.

Might want to consider sending the barrel off to Bobby Hoyt in Pennsylvania so he can bestow some of his tender mercies on it by installing a liner.
He can even duplicate the original rifling.

Nice rifle - I have similar by Blanch but for belted ball. They are sometimes referred to as deer or ounce rifles.

You said "a pretty heavy but crisp trigger" - have you checked to see if it is a single set trigger? Mine is.

David

Back