• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Isaac Haines Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveT

32 Cal
Reaction score
High from Steve in Iowa, friend just gave me a rifle with L Haines cut into the barrel. Barrel 45 3/4 inch looks 50 cal. Its in bad shape. No lock, trigger group,
rear sight, stock cap. Stock broke at lock and trigger group. Brass four piece patch box, brass butt. What do I do now? I usually just do kit guns from Dixie.

High from Steve in Iowa, friend just gave me a rifle with L Haines cut into the barrel. Barrel 45 3/4 inch looks 50 cal. Its in bad shape. No lock, trigger group,
rear sight, stock cap. Stock broke at lock and trigger group. Brass four piece patch box, brass butt. What do I do now? I usually just do kit guns from Dixie.
If the barrel is any good, buy a new stock and start over. Alternatively, you could make a pole lamp......:rolleyes:

Hi, Steve. Welcome to the Muzzleloading Forum.

You might get more responses to your question if it is re-posted in a different section of the Forum, maybe the Gunmakers Bench, or Flintlock Rifles.

Also, pictures would help a lot. In fact, they are essential for helping us address your question.

Finally, is it an original antique rifle, a new-ish rifle built from one of the Isaac Haines kits, or just an ordinary rifle with the name "Haines" marked on the barrel? Does it really say "L. Haines" or is that a typo? These distinctions would have a profound effect on the value of the piece which, in turn, would affect how you manage the conservation, repair, or reconstruction.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Hi, Steve. Welcome to the Muzzleloading Forum.

You might get more responses to your question if it is re-posted in a different section of the Forum, maybe the Gunmakers Bench, or Flintlock Rifles.

Also, pictures would help a lot. In fact, they are essential for helping us address your question.

Finally, is it an original antique rifle, a new-ish rifle built from one of the Isaac Haines kits, or just an ordinary rifle with the name "Haines" marked on the barrel? Does it really say "L. Haines" or is that a typo? These distinctions would have a profound effect on the value of the piece which, in turn, would affect how you manage the conservation, repair, or reconstruction.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Sorry not an L it is a very script I. I will go to the flint lock section and post photos after I clean it. Someone had taped the barrel to the stock.
Need to remove the tape glue. Someone in the past had converted it to percussion. Nipple is missing. It is an original antique rifle, it has been shot a lot. Rock Island Auction is just 20 minutes away, may go across the river and have one of their expert look at it. They have an auction next week, plan on going to the viewing on Monday. Thanks for your reply.

If the barrel is any good, buy a new stock and start over. Alternatively, you could make a pole lamp......:rolleyes:
Thinking about buying a lock, trigger group, rear sight and stock cap in brass and fit into existing stock. A ram rod is present in wood. May not be original, but is old. Not for shooting, hang on wall for display and story telling.

Thinking about buying a lock, trigger group, rear sight and stock cap in brass and fit into existing stock. A ram rod is present in wood. May not be original, but is old. Not for shooting, hang on wall for display and story telling.
Anxious to see the photos. If it's an Issac Haines it would be rather special.

Yes... What strangely casual post. "Hey guys, I have an antique rifle marked I. Haines. "

Congratulations on that find. I really hope it is an authentic Isaac Haines rifle! I'm excited to see pictures as well.

Steve,

I think taking that original rifle to the Rock Island folks to get their impression is a good idea. If it is an original Isaac Haines rifle, its value, even in "relic" condition, will be substantial. Gently cleaning off the tape residue is a good idea, but I wouldn't do anything else until the experts weigh in on it.

Good luck with that! Please let us know what you find.

Notchy Bob

Yes... What strangely casual post. "Hey guys, I have an antique rifle marked I. Haines. "

Congratulations on that find. I really hope it is an authentic Isaac Haines rifle! I'm excited to see pictures as well.
HighUintas Been a gun guy since year of birth. The year my dad went to work at Rock Island Arsenal. He did 30 years their. Every Armed
Forces Day we got to crawl all over everything they had. After three year in the US Army, two of them in Germany, I did 33 years at RIA.
As the Safety Engineer I got to go everywhere and see everything. Pre Civil War to present. Traveled to 43 military installations in my life.
Stopped by all the museums and got to see the stuff behind the walls. One of Patton's cars, Ortaga's guns, and a copy of George
Washington's swords. Been in a gravel gerty where they assemble atomic weapons. What a life!

Back