• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is vinegar bad or good?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing cider vinegar works on and instantly is charlie horses, the kind that feel like someone is ripping out your hamstring with a hay hook. Table spoon full and its' gone, instantly.
Now back to our regularly scheduled postings.
Robby
Vinegar or pickle juice for leg cramps but remember to add it to water unless you want your throat burned. It absolutely works.

While it hasn't been proven yet, researchers posit that pickle juice may help cramps by triggering muscular reflexes when the liquid contacts the back of the throat. This reflex shuts down the misfiring of neurons in muscle all over the body, and “turns off” the cramping feeling.

Fish, and chips with vinegar is an English tradition. The little shops all use to serve it in newspapers, when ordered to go.
I have plenty of Malt Vinegar on hand, just for that.
I spent 3yrs over there in the USN.
Dave

I spent a couple of years In Holy Loch Scotland courtesy of Uncle Sugar's Canoe Club. I still like malt vinegar on fried taters.

Back on topic, I just took my old Navy Arms double 12 out of a couple decades of storage to find the inside of the barrel pretty rusty and quite a bit of melted plastic due to using plastic wads. Externally, it's in great shape for it's age. I'd let a relative use it last for a few years while I was overseas in the late 90s. After some "quality time" with a tornado brush and lots of brake cleaner, it's pretty much cleaned back up now and I've ran a few cleaning patches soaked in some old Pyrodex lube to coat the bores.

Last edited:
why not just use a bronze brush and WD 40? even tho using WD 40 will cause your transmission to blow your roof to leak you will get athletes foot and hang nails but it will clean the rust out easily

why not just use a bronze brush and WD 40? even tho using WD 40 will cause your transmission to blow your roof to leak you will get athletes foot and hang nails but it will clean the rust out easily
Evaporust works much better at removing rust than WD-40.
The reason I skirted around the brass/phospho-bronze brush is because so many people seem to get them stuck in their muzzleloaders.
For rust in a smoothbore I might be more inclined to try one of those "tornado" brushes.

Evaporust works much better at removing rust than WD-40.
The reason I skirted around the brass/phospho-bronze brush is because so many people seem to get them stuck in their muzzleloaders.
For rust in a smoothbore I might be more inclined to try one of those "tornado" brushes.
I admit evapo rust might be better but most guys got WD-40 laying around. yes I should have stated the tornado brush cause those are all I use for any rifle. if the brush is screwed into the rod I cant see how it could get stuck cause you can turn the brush clockwise a couple of turns to free it. that could not happen with the tornado SS brush

Believe it or not….

C4E19BAA-857D-4950-8EE2-9A0D24B8894B.jpeg

I used 0000 steel wool and it removed surface rust from Chrome on an antique vehicle….

It worked… I Don’t see how it could do any damage too a pitted bore anyway.. might be worth a try.

I spent a couple of years In Holy Loch Scotland courtesy of Uncle Sugar's Canoe Club. I still like malt vinegar on fried taters.

Back on topic, I just took my old Navy Arms double 12 out of a couple decades of storage to find the inside of the barrel pretty rusty and quite a bit of melted plastic due to using plastic wads. Externally, it's in great shape for it's age. I'd let a relative use it last for a few years while I was overseas in the late 90s. After some "quality time" with a tornado brush and lots of brake cleaner, it's pretty much cleaned back up now and I've ran a few cleaning patches soaked in some old Pyrodex lube to coat the bores.
E-B sent me there back in 1986. I was a machinest.
Believe it or not….

View attachment 115883

I used 0000 steel wool and it removed surface rust from Chrome on an antique vehicle….

It worked… I Don’t see how it could do any damage too a pitted bore anyway.. might be worth a try.
back in the day-1951, we would use it to free frozen up V-8 FLAT HEAD FORDS. just pour in the spark plug hole and wait a day or two, put a chain on it and tow it in gear. and - VIOLA! be sure to reinstall the spark plugs.

I consume a lot of Balsamic Vinegar on vegetables but keep it away from the MLs. The only rust product I've ever used was Naval Jelly. The same caveates concerning Evaporust also apply to the Naval Jelly.

Back