• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is vinegar bad or good?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I consume a lot of Balsamic Vinegar on vegetables but keep it away from the MLs. The only rust product I've ever used was Naval Jelly. The same caveates concerning Evaporust also apply to the Naval Jelly.
I've never been able to get any jelly out of my naval.:dunno:

On the subject of leg cramps, yellow mustard or a Tumeric supplement will go a long way to stopping them but it's also a symptom of dehydration. I'm a retired soccer official. I did 5-7 matches each day on weekends and 4 high school double headers during the week for a minimum of 18+ matches per week. Never, ever had an issue with leg cramps. I did have a weight problem. Doc told me I was too skinny but I couldn't gain any no matter what I ate.

Vinegar is extremely caustic. I use vinegar to remove heavy burned on forge scale off of steel that was in a forge.. The scale that comes off the steel turns the vinegar black the next morning.
Ohio Rusty ><>

I have used Vinegar Windex to clean my breach loading Sharps for decades(cut 50% with water). Works great, and supposedly better the the ammonia based Windex(blue). I have also used White Whine Vinegar to artificially age/tarnish steel/barrels on my ML’s on occasion. Many of the aforementioned products will eliminate/dissolve surface rust, but if it’s severe, the pitting will be left behind.

If the pitting is isolated you could probably soak one of those wooly bore mops in Evaporust and position it in the rusty spot with your cleaning rod.

It has been opined that Evaporust contains molasses. Maybe they are a better bet than vinegar?
I use vinegar to patina high carbon steel. Turns knife blades grey. I would think it would cause rust, not remove it.
I don’t know if that’s Evaporust’s secret, but a mixture of 9 parts water to 1 part molasses is a chelating solution. Been using it for years.
https://www.christinedemerchant.com/molasses-rust-removal.html

Vinegar removes rust (including bluing, which is a rust) and is trivially cheap.

There does seem to be weird culture that distrusts anything that does not come as a ‘product’ with a commercial name. Feel free to subsidise manufacturers but I just get my needs off the normal supermarket shelf for trivial cost.

I can sell you hand bottled ’Pure Cornish’ guaranteed acetic eco rust remover for £25 per 250 ml plus postage if you want, with a nice colourful label……….

Vinegar removes rust (including bluing, which is a rust) and is trivially cheap.

There does seem to be weird culture that distrusts anything that does not come as a ‘product’ with a commercial name. Feel free to subsidise manufacturers but I just get my needs off the normal supermarket shelf for trivial cost.

I can sell you hand bottled ’Pure Cornish’ guaranteed acetic eco rust remover for £25 per 250 ml plus postage if you want, with a nice colourful label……….
Pure something ! Ime more interested in the Pasties , Being levitatious .
Regards Rudyard

I asked my doctor about drinking apple cider vinegar , he said the best use for it was to remove warts .
Back on topic I have seen an early Damascus barreled ML shotgun where the owner has tried using a serious rust remover to clean the barrels , he left them sitting level and the rust remover he used ate away the rust and most of the metal in a straight line down the bottom of the barrels , completely ruining them .

a lot of guys at my clupb use w car wind shiels washer, work's just fine. try it. every one has a bottle of it kicking around!

Back