• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is vinegar bad or good?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some rust residing in some pits in my smoothbore. Is vinegar a good way to clean and get rid of that? Is it safe for barrel? Or just use barricade or g96 or any other recommendations?

I have some rust residing in some pits in my smoothbore. Is vinegar a good way to clean and get rid of that? Is it safe for barrel? Or just use barricade or g96 or any other recommendations?
Use Evaporust. Cheap, nontoxic, reusable, and works awesome. Just keep it off your bluing.

Use Evaporust. Cheap, nontoxic, reusable, and works awesome. Just keep it off your bluing.

How do you like to personally use it?

Also to everyone. Since my bore is pitted it is more prone to rusting. Any recommendations on how to include a method to my cleaning after every session to where it minimizes the rust in the pits after every hunt or after the range?

How do you like to personally use it?

Also to everyone. Since my bore is pitted it is more prone to rusting. Any recommendations on how to include a method to my cleaning after every session to where it minimizes the rust in the pits after every hunt or after the range?
Depends on the severity and location of the problem.
Is it one isolated location in the bore? Near the breach or muzzle?
If isolated, soak a patch in Evaporust and using a jag run it down to that spot and let it sit. I would use a slightly undersized jag or brush for this. Do not use a brush exactly for that gauge/caliber, I've often heard of folks getting then stuck.
I have also just plugged the flash hole an filled the bore. Let sit, pour off into an empty coffee can and then scrub with a mild abrasive.
I've only dealt with one rusty bore on a cheap used rifle. But I have used evaporust on other items. Others may give better advise on what to scrub with.

What type of smoothbore gun? Gauge/caliber?

Depends on the severity and location of the problem.
Is it one isolated location in the bore? Near the breach or muzzle?
If isolated, soak a patch in Evaporust and using a jag run it down to that spot and let it sit. I would use a slightly undersized jag or brush for this. Do not use a brush exactly for that gauge/caliber, I've often heard of folks getting then stuck.
I have also just plugged the flash hole an filled the bore. Let sit, pour off into an empty coffee can and then scrub with a mild abrasive.
I've only dealt with one rusty bore on a cheap used rifle. But I have used evaporust on other items. Others may give better advise on what to scrub with.

What type of smoothbore gun? Gauge/caliber?

English Fowler Mike Brooks (.62/20 gauge)

I've used white vinegar in the past for a deep clean. My competition smoothbore has a number of pits in the barrel and all I do is a normal type of cleaning followed by a good oiling. With my normal cleaning, I use Windex with ammonia to neutralize the acid in the fouling. Follow with a good wipe dry and oil. Don't sweat a few pits on a smoothbore.

One thing cider vinegar works on and instantly is charlie horses, the kind that feel like someone is ripping out your hamstring with a hay hook. Table spoon full and its' gone, instantly.
Now back to our regularly scheduled postings.
Robby
Rubbed on or swallowed. Leg cramps are my worst nightmares.

I agree Evaporust works the best for me. I use a mixture of vinegar and water to cause rust aging on my yard art. If you use vinegar be sure you flush it out completely or it will cause more rusting.

If the pitting is isolated you could probably soak one of those wooly bore mops in Evaporust and position it in the rusty spot with your cleaning rod.

It has been opined that Evaporust contains molasses. Maybe they are a better bet than vinegar?
I use vinegar to patina high carbon steel. Turns knife blades grey. I would think it would cause rust, not remove it.

Back