• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is this normal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodRabbitPilgrim

Do Not Live in America
Reaction score
I just bought a new sidelock which turned up today and immediately noticed something unusual (for me at least). I took it to half cock and tried to put the hammer back down on to the nipple and it would not budge (pulling the trigger while gently lowering the hammer that is). The only way I can get it to do it is by going to full cock and then lowering down to the nipple. In this instance is still has a distinctive click as it passes the half cock position (moreso than I've noticed with my other sidelock).

I have not taken the lock apart, I literally picked it up, played with it for 5 mins and then have been occupied with my sons birthday party since.

I don't want to go into the brand of the gun because I don't want the topic to go off track, suffice it to say it was not a cheap gun. I'm just really interested to know if this is acceptable in a percussion because my other does not do this at all.

Some locks the fly binds and you have to go to full cock or almost to full cock to release it

If that's the case then there's no issue, it is a beautiful gun other than that. I do wish I had of gone down the flintlock root instead of percussion though.

I'd like to see a picture of the inside of the lock to see the configuration of the half cock notch. When the lock is in the half cock position, the fly should not interfere since the fly should be on top of the sear and not blocking the notch. You might have to raise the hammer to allow the sear to clear the half cock notch. That slight lift to clear the notch is normal.

Sounds like there might be a problem with the tumbler or fly. Without taking the lock out of the stock, no way to know for sure. Your lock could also be suffering from congealed crud in the lock. I'd clean and lube it before doing anything that can't be reversed.

(pulling the trigger while gently lowering the hammer that is). You should not be able to lower the hammer in this manner. The sear is captured in the half cock notch and must be lifted by pulling the hammer back some before pulling the trigger. The amount Varys with how the lock is designed.Note how the half cock notch here is undercut, that’s why the hammer must be lifted or pulled back before pulling the trigger.
IMG_0466 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

I just bought a new sidelock which turned up today and immediately noticed something unusual (for me at least). I took it to half cock and tried to put the hammer back down on to the nipple and it would not budge (pulling the trigger while gently lowering the hammer that is). The only way I can get it to do it is by going to full cock and then lowering down to the nipple. In this instance is still has a distinctive click as it passes the half cock position (moreso than I've noticed with my other sidelock).

I have not taken the lock apart, I literally picked it up, played with it for 5 mins and then have been occupied with my sons birthday party since.

I don't want to go into the brand of the gun because I don't want the topic to go off track, suffice it to say it was not a cheap gun. I'm just really interested to know if this is acceptable in a percussion because my other does not do this at all.
Phil is right on target! (IMG 0466) The half cock position is specifically made so the hammer does not release by just pulling the trigger.
Larry

It's perfectly normal. The half cock position is made to act like a safety, so pulling the trigger will not release it. You have to pull the trigger back to allow the "fly" to rotate before the trigger will release the hammer. How far you have to pull it back varies with the lock type/brand. On my Investarm Hawken style rifles I have to fully cock the hammer before the trigger pull will release it.

It's perfectly normal. The half cock position is made to act like a safety, so pulling the trigger will not release it. You have to pull the trigger back to allow the "fly" to rotate before the trigger will release the hammer. How far you have to pull it back varies with the lock type/brand. On my Investarm Hawken style rifles I have to fully cock the hammer before the trigger pull will release it.

That's what's happening essentially, it was just my other rifle of the same brand doesn't work the same so I wasn't sure if it was an issue. If it's normal then I won't be concerned. No issues other than that.

Back