• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is this muzzle crown good to go ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked up an older CVA Hawken kit as a winter project gun. .50 caliber 28" barrel new/old stock kit. The muzzle crown at the ends of the lands is even and crisp, but as it widens out at the face of the muzzle the "chamfer" is off center, and has horrible toolmarks. I know the obvious answer is just shoot it and see, but I'm a ways from being the close, plus kit was missing sights ,so got get some of those. What are your thoughts and opinions ? Just hate to dump a bunch of time into something that may not shoot worth a darn. -Thanks

GEDC1498.JPG

GEDC1502.JPG

GEDC1499.JPG

the off center part should be ok . roughness wont hurt as long as it does not cut patches at loading . easy enough to smooth out with some emery cloth.as always said shooting it will tell all.

Picked up an older CVA Hawken kit as a winter project gun. .50 caliber 28" barrel new/old stock kit. The muzzle crown at the ends of the lands is even and crisp, but as it widens out at the face of the muzzle the "chamfer" is off center, and has horrible toolmarks. I know the obvious answer is just shoot it and see, but I'm a ways from being the close, plus kit was missing sights ,so got get some of those. What are your thoughts and opinions ? Just hate to dump a bunch of time into something that may not shoot worth a darn. -Thanks

View attachment 178532

View attachment 178531

View attachment 178530
As others have said it probably would be fine but I would mount it in the lathe and true it up. I would think about that crown every time I looked at it if I didn't.

I suspect that being it is a production gun the bore may not run true to the outside of the barrel. Unless you have access to a good lathe and the skills to use it just shoot the gun

I suspect that being it is a production gun the bore may not run true to the outside of the barrel. Unless you have access to a good lathe and the skills to use it just shoot the gun
I checked that, the bore is centered to the outside. The chamfer is just more angled on one side and less angled on the other. I only plan to shoot patched round balls so not sure if it will even make much difference.

If it bothers you fix it. I have a rifle that was shooting awful. It's a very collectable rifle. Very, very collectable.
After struggling with accuracy issues I finally said it's not worth shooting as is. I could visibly see a nick in the crown.
I used a drill, a brass carriage bolt and valve grinding compound, and "corrected" the muzzle. I wish I would have taken a before picture. This is the after picture.
The gun went from shooting 1.5" to 2" groups to .5" groups.

Attachments

• 20190703_113841.jpg
    20190703_113841.jpg
    661 KB · Views: 0
If it bothers you fix it. I have a rifle that was shooting awful. It's a very collectable rifle. Very, very collectable.
After struggling with accuracy issues I finally said it's not worth shooting as is. I could visibly see a nick in the crown.
I used a drill, a brass carriage bolt and valve grinding compound, and "corrected" the muzzle. I wish I would have taken a before picture. This is the after picture.
The gun went from shooting 1.5" to 2" groups to .5" groups.
Not really bothering me, if it shoots fine I'll leave it, if not I'll have to weigh my option. Being a cheaper kit gun I doubt I'll pay to have it turned on a lathe , likely go the route you did and see what happens.

View attachment 178532

View attachment 178531

View attachment 178530

That muzzle would get a complete treatment before even bothering to shoot it.

View attachment 178532

View attachment 178531

View attachment 178530
Put your thumb on a piece of 220 grit paper and work it around (literally) 2-3 pieces, switch to finer grit, repeat, should clean it up so it doesn’t offend others, but it will probably shoot just fine. I would only be concerned about cutting patches on loading the way it is.

Back