• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is This For Real?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawken

40 Cal
Reaction score
IMG_1639.PNG

Looks insane to me. But it has several bids. What am I missing? I've heard they are tough to find, but Jeeze Louise.

Could be. Or not.
I've seen it on FleaBay where people get their friends to bid the snot out of an item with no intention to buy it. All they need is one rube to get the frenzy and make a high bid. Then the others vanish from view..............:doh:leaving the new guy on the hook.
In no way am I asserting this is not a legit offering. Just sharing stories I've watched play out other places. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $6 a tin, and frequently pay less than that.

The two or more people bidding on that listing simply have enough money that there isn’t a cap shortage for them. I try to have the sense to not have to compete with those folks during a shortage.
Wonder if they are confused with primers? It happens.....

It’s much less ‘more money than sense’ than ‘more money than me’.

Reminds me of the time many years ago when I was standing outside a local gun shop and one of the employees and I were having a smoke and BSing for a few minutes while he was on break. This guy pulled up in a brand new Ferrari and walked into the shop. After he'd gone in, the guy I was hanging out with said, "What a disgusting display of wealth." Then he paused for a moment, shrugged his shoulders, and said, "If only I could afford to be that disgusting..." I still chuckle about that all these years later. It's amazing what profundities can arise during a simple smoke break. 😄

Even with primers, the price is still outrageous. A fool and his money are soon parted.
Going rate, sorry for non mzloader, is $250 for a thou, if you can find em. Or higher. But yes i agree. A fool's money will be taken.

And then there is the example yesterday i saw. Favorite gunshop in georgia. Guy walks in and buys every casting mold they had for $30 a piece. About 35 of em. Next sold on fleabay for average of over $100. The shop sells some on ebay and saw them go in about an hour. Yea the store made some money, but really? Over $100 for a lee mold guys?

I have a Nashville hunting buddy who used to fly his kids to Texas to go hog hunting with me. His three teen boys would be decked out in $2500 worth of Sitka each. I didn’t know what he was worth at the time, I just knew he owned a few small businesses and had money. When he bought 3k acres in TN and showed me his house plans I said, “dude that’s a @#*@ crazy ton of money!” He told me that him spending that amount on a house and land was like someone who made $200k a year spending 500 bucks on his house and that he was being thrifty. It’s a different world.

$50 for a tin of caps is happening. We Joe’s will be gentrified out of all of it if they don’t get production back up.

Last edited:
Howdy:
I've Bitched to eBay a ton of times about sellers who tend their bids, I've heard nothin' back?
Bid tending isn't new, it's been going on there as long as I've been a member since '07. You're right Ames, you get your buddy to bid the manure out of an item to start a bidding war, then when it's over, if you sell it, great, if not you list it again in a week. NOT clean sportsmanship!
Stay well y'all.
God bless:
Two Feathers

I have around 1,500 percussors to serve my Hawken (or as some here say, “hawkins” LOL) so that should be gobs plenty of time for this insanity to cool off a bit.

Me too. I only have a few percussion guns but shooting revolvers sure burns through them fast. I have a few buddies coming to shoot next weekend and I know they’ll go home with a few tins each at list price as I already know they’re short and they know I’m stocked up.

Howdy:
I've Bitched to eBay a ton of times about sellers who tend their bids, I've heard nothin' back?
Bid tending isn't new, it's been going on there as long as I've been a member since '07. You're right Ames, you get your buddy to bid the manure out of an item to start a bidding war, then when it's over, if you sell it, great, if not you list it again in a week. NOT clean sportsmanship!
Stay well y'all.
God bless:
Two Feathers
On ebay with sniping in the last seconds, I bid what I believe the item is worth, if I am overbid, I feel sorry for the person who needed the item much more than I did. I like to think it is someone who just needs the item so badly that he will pay anything to get it. I wish him luck and pray his bid is not overbid.

OK, OK, I know the odds of that being true are very low. But it makes me feel better if I think that I am helping a poor soul out by not getting in a bidding war.

Latest posts

Back