• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is this an improved chamber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryK

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This is a picture of a Pedersoli chamber. I thought it would narrow down to 30 caliber or so, but it surprised me that the 30 caliber chamber is not centered in the flash hole.
To me it looks like it is not fully machined. So how do I know, but I am sure you experts will know if this is the design, or a flaw.

0a8qHhu.jpg

It would appear to me to be a machining error. It has been my experience that Pedersoli's are better machined than your example. I doubt that it was intended to be that way. Which brings up the question:" How did it get through quality control?"

I'm not sure what I'm seeing here. Is that a threaded hole for a vent liner? It looks like it's also been bushed but that could be a seat for the liner. If it is for a vent liner how did the vent line up with the pan? It looks like a pin for the trigger guard is too low and buggered up the edge of the lock mortice.

I'm not sure what I'm seeing here. Is that a threaded hole for a vent liner? It looks like it's also been bushed but that could be a seat for the liner. If it is for a vent liner how did the vent line up with the pan? It looks like a pin for the trigger guard is too low and buggered up the edge of the lock mortice.
All the Pedersoli barrels are meant to be interchangeable between flint and percussion locks. Same barrel for a flintlock Blue Ridge/Frontier as for a caplock Blue Ridge/Frontier. Just change out vent liner for a drum and nipple or vice versa.

This one definitely looks like either the hole for the liner/drum was drilled too low, or the small chamber hole in the breach plug was drilled too high.
I'm wondering if it isn't possible to machine the chamber in the plug slightly larger and lower? This would both correct the misalignment of chamber and vent, and help with some of the p.i.a. issues of the chambered breach plug.

It works fine, and it would be easy to take out that hump of metal. Hump does act as a stop for the plug, but it seemed odd. It is new, but sat for a year. This was the first time I pulled the liner after shooting it twice this week. I was wondering if other Pedersoli's were like this? The vent hole is in a good position for the flash pan, so on the outside it looks aligned.
If it is machined wrong, I imagine Pedersoli would make it right. Naturally I am curious, and I think this is an interesting picture for everyone interested in Pedersoli.

Last edited:
The hole is definitely drilled too low.
I have several Pedersoli rifles, in both flint and persussion and every one of them is centered in the flat and line up with the breech drill hole.
If it's new - send it back.
If it's not new - send it back anyway - I'll bet they make it right.
The last thing Pedersoli wants is this picture on a muzzleloading website!

I appreciate the input. It looks low to me, but I did see similar pictures over in the for sale section of other pedersolis.
So I don't know, but I did send Pedersoli customer service and email with a couple pictures. Being Christmas week I don't expect much for a couple weeks.
Kinda really frustrating becaise I dumped a bunch of money into a lock rebuild/tune, and I don't feel comfortable shooting it. I have a flagship model, and it is odd to feel it is not machined well. Anyway I have some others flints to keep me hunting, so this is not really a big deal. I am impressed that it is pretty heavy, so I don't think I would be carrying it anyway. Thanks.

I have no actual knowledge of Pedersoli's machining works, but I imagine they are either CNC'd or at the least use depth gages and stops to guide holes being drilled. So the question would really be for other Pedersoli owners: anyone else have one of these lips left on their gun?

Adendum: yes the hole looks awfully wonky in it's placement. Being too low it would also probably explain the lip left inside the vent hole as drilling lower in the bore, the depth gage would have the drilling implement pull out as if were done against the exterior flat. Essentially that left over hump of metal is a result of the "Accumulation of Errors".

Last edited:
I have no actual knowledge of Pedersoli's machining works, but I imagine they are either CNC'd or at the least use depth gages and stops to guide holes being drilled. So the question would really be for other Pedersoli owners: anyone else have one of these lips left on their gun?

Adendum: yes the hole looks awfully wonky in it's placement. Being too low it would also probably explain the lip left inside the vent hole as drilling lower in the bore, the depth gage would have the drilling implement pull out as if were done against the exterior flat. Essentially that left over hump of metal is a result of the "Accumulation of Errors".
The one I used to have had the vent/drum hole centered on the flat and thus centered in that chamber.

Again I sent Pedersoli customer service the pictures, but being Christmas week, I imagine my response will be slow. Anyway I went to the classifieds and found another model Pedersoli, and the bushing is in the exact same position. The ad also had the flash hole positioned appropriately with respect to the flash pan. So from those 2 pics the "low" position of the bushing is the same.
I think it would be easy to use a metal ball dremit bit and clean out that hump in 5 minutes. I'll let Pedersoli weigh in before I do anything. I am not in a rush to do something wrong.
V0hFJNc.jpg

The liner is D&T low of center on the bore. That isn't how I would build a rifle, but is where the hole needs to be to work with their lock and trigger. I'm not a fan of chambered breeches, and would prefer the chamber be closer to bore diameter, but that's just my way of thinking. If it works fine as-is, don't fret about it.

Could that possibly be the breech plug extending into the touch hole?

Does a patch on a cleaning rod hang up on it?
01E33C00-4B64-43D3-B7E6-EB179E4AD1BC.jpeg

I’m not sure the size of the hike in the plug,TC are around 1/4” only

396F6C2E-6BA8-4BE9-BA62-1F0700839F89.jpeg

Last edited:
Could that possibly be the breech plug extending into the touch hole?

Does a patch on a cleaning rod hang up on it?
Yes, sort of. The breach plug comes past the hole in the barrel for a touch hole liner for flintlock versions or drum for a caplock (they use the same barrel for both) on these Pedersoli guns. A chamber hole is drilled into the breach plug through the breach face that creates a small chamber similar to a patent breach. Normally the hole for the vent or drum lines up centered on that chamber, 90° to it. In this case it looks like either the vent/drum hole is low, or, the chamber hole in the breach plug is high.

This is a picture of a Pedersoli chamber. I thought it would narrow down to 30 caliber or so, but it surprised me that the 30 caliber chamber is not centered in the flash hole.
To me it looks like it is not fully machined. So how do I know, but I am sure you experts will know if this is the design, or a flaw.

0a8qHhu.jpg
What is the bore diameter? I think I can see the breech plug face line in the back side of the hole.

It is 54 caliber.
I emailed Pedersoli, and they initially thought it was an issue. Now they say their gunsmith says that this metal that blocks 1/2 the vent is normal. So I asked them to look at it again before I get out a dremil bit. I am a little miffed that this rifle was 2000 bucks, and I had to have the new lock big time overhauled by Brad Emig, and now they decide this is OK. Anyway it is not resolved yet, they get another chance to be square.
Actually me removing that metal is easier and less BS than shipping it.
In the long run, it is not a big deal to me. Probably a bigger deal for them to act with disrespect.

0a8qHhu.jpg
Send the picture to Pedersoli and ask them.

Back