Is this a reenactor-ism?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

David Y. Snellen

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
These little candle lanterns are neat, but I wonder if they are correct.
1640381426861.png

I don't remember seeing anything that is from the War between the States. Opinions?
David

Widows Son

40 Cal
Reaction score
Candle lanterns are ancient and lo-tech devices, so I don’t think it would raise much speculation if it was found in a mid 19th century time capsule.

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
These little candle lanterns are neat, but I wonder if they are correct. View attachment 111150

I don't remember seeing anything that is from the War between the States. Opinions?
David
Hi David,

Ah, a period "Pen Light." ;)

Some Juried Events may have problems with them, but even though it is an uncommon to rare style, it certainly could have been made in the period.

As it is, we often have WAY too many "common" things in our camps, especially military camps, to be totally authentic in most campaigns.

This is something I would leave as "Unit Discretion" and if a Juried Event has a problem with them, I would just not use it that weekend.

Gus

David Y. Snellen

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Dear Sir,
I appreciate that information. Yes, they look correct, and they are HANDY. I gave away my Lord's CW Ency. and I can't remember if I saw anything like that or not.
Thank you again,
David

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The first I ever saw was on Avolon forge web site. I don’t know of an old example but have noted the stuff on Avolon forge tend to be hc.
That said I also note last time I looked Hot Dipped tin doesn’t offer one. He too liked to do direct and near direct copies of known artifacts
I would like to get one for my treking kit, but would probably not take it to an event

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
These little candle lanterns are neat, but I wonder if they are correct.
FIRST you are asking about history..., not if you should use the item at an event. ;)

So from a historic perspective...,
NOPE for the 18th century.., for anybody in the AWI and before, who is not prosperous, and in a town.
OH they "existed" but candles were very expensive, and for a seller to find a market for candles, the chandler would go to where the buyers are..., a good sized town..., most American colonists didn't have candles outside of a town or unless very prosperous.

OH and before somebody chimes in with, "well I'm a bee keeper"..., um beeswax was used for much much more than candles, and one would not squander beeswax when something else needed the wax. . :rolleyes:

NOW should you use it at an event? ABSOLUTELY.

We have to make concessions and the proper light source for most colonist, would be a rushlight. These, however are open flames that require a lot of tending and don't do well outside in any sort of breeze. The outside light source for most colonists would be a pine-pitch torch, again not safe compared to a metal candle lantern. In short, either are not very safe compared to your lantern, a great many sites won't allow rushlights or torches even in doors, so... Worry Not, and use it. 😇

LD

springfield art

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi David,

Ah, a period "Pen Light." ;)

Some Juried Events may have problems with them, but even though it is an uncommon to rare style, it certainly could have been made in the period.

As it is, we often have WAY too many "common" things in our camps, especially military camps, to be totally authentic in most campaigns.

This is something I would leave as "Unit Discretion" and if a Juried Event has a problem with them, I would just not use it that weekend.

Gus
Lots of men bought small alcohol-burner "stoves" in the WW1 trench era. Little pot with a lid and a burner you'd put under it to heat tea, soup, etc. This could be that type thing. I have one that came from a 94-year old guy, whose dad brought back from Europe after WW1.

David Y. Snellen

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Thank you all for your advice. I know it is incorrect for Rev War, but I am wondering for 1861-65?
I am going to look through my books again....
David

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Same things applies. New England coast was rich in whalers, and the ability to make coal and lamp oil made lighting cheaper. However until the 1870s and 80s most folks used candles if well to do, or average on special occasions, limited in general when used and leaned more to Betty lamps, or such. Rushes and tourchs
Often one or two candles might be all and nursed as long as possible.
Public houses were public because there was light and warmth there.

David Y. Snellen

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I checked the books I have, and I cannot find anything similar. The construction appears like something that would be from the 1860's, but.....

pilot

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
For some really good insight on the period you are interested in, start here:

The contents have been on display for 25 years or so here in Kansas City at the Arabia museum. I'll see if I can find an online catalog of the treasure with pictures.

David Y. Snellen

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I love the Steamboat Arabia!!!
I have been several times. Many things they had, we didn't think they had, until that was dug up.
I took my kids about 3 years ago- pre covid. It is worth the trip and one of the neatest museums around.
David

Latest posts