• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is this a real traditional in line?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might be the Babcock listed in "American Gun Makers including Supplement of American gun makers".

BABCOCK, Moses ”” Charlestown, Mass. Listed in Directories from
1838 to 1874. Was assistant to Abijah Monroe, gunsmith, then
owner of a shop on Charlestown Square 1877-81. Died Aug. 27,

"FLAYDERMAN'S GUIDE TO ANTIQUE AMERICAN FIREARMS and their value"
, 9th ed shows a .52 caliber underhammer cane gun which looks like a cane.
When it is cocked, the trigger pops out of its normally concealed position for use.

Loyalist Dave said:
loads from the muzzle
uses a #11 cap
wood stock
fixed breech
exposed hammer
fixed metallic sights
Brass inlay
brass patchbox
brass buttplate
Kentucky style buttstock.
H&A style mainspring assembly
19th century style metal work.

Interesting set of criteria, so the TC Scout would only fail because the breech plug is designed to be removed for cleaning. hmmm

You might add, designed to shoot only black powder or a substitute for black powder. :wink:

LD

I know he can defend himself but I read this as Dave listing the virtues of this particular rifle. And he's spot-on right. What a wonderful, quirky thing is it......Mick

Zonie said:
"FLAYDERMAN'S GUIDE TO ANTIQUE AMERICAN FIREARMS and their value"[/i], 9th ed shows a .52 caliber underhammer cane gun which looks like a cane.
When it is cocked, the trigger pops out of its normally concealed position for use.

Day-d.jpg

DPCG-1.jpg

M-g,
You see the same as me, a friend gave me the photo, & have not seen the rifle in person. It appears to me that the trigger guard is the main hammer spring.
Flintlocklar :wink:

GUESS WHAT?
The BABCOCK Action aka the OVER-HAMMER ACTION is NOT A ONE OFF!

BABCOCK LOCK SYSTEM.JPG

BABCOCK LOCK SYSTEM B.JPG

This particular version was found on an 8-bore shotgun....

IF you look at the photos in the article, and then at the previous photos in this thread, the gun in the article has no patch box. It's a different gun. At first I thought that the information about the .41 rifle using this action might have been in error, but I looked at the photos and I think this is a second example, and a smoothbore example of the action.

Ambidextrous Smoothbore Action

LD

The other interesting bit is that the gunmaker, Babcock, also made some under-hammers, and apparently called this an "over hammer". Like the under-hammer, this lock could give the piece ambidextrous application. Something important for my brother, for example, who is left handed and left-eye dominant, but his boys are all right handers.

LD

Back