• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is this a good method to correct a poor vent install?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a rifle that has a vent liner installed too high to my satisfaction. My question: Is it better to completely plug the wrong location with a solid 1/4-28" threaded steel round, and re drill to proper location? A second choice would be, remove the liner and put in a revised liner as shown. the angled vent hole would increase the length compared to a parallel to threads .068 hole, but I am thinking not significant if I slightly cone the outside of the liner.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲
cone.jpg

Too high isn't always a problem. Depends on how high. A picture first, but it would work like that. You could counter-bore the hole to enlarge the pan side to shorten the flash channel. I have externally coned a lot of liners when I didn't like the length of the channel. A knife-edged hole will burn out quicker plus a pick will wear it quicker.. I like to leave just a little thickness in the hole.

If the frizzen cover doesn’t hide the vent hole, it’s too high. I’d favor drilling perpendicular to the side flat but from the lower position. This won’t work with a standard as bought liner because the hole is usually pre-drilled.

I too would like to see 'how high' is too high ...

I did move one that was too LOW by going from a 1/4" liner to a 5/16" liner and used an end mill to move the new hole (to be tapped) up.

I did have a gun that I converted from cap to flint when I installed the liner in the drum hole touch hole was above frizzen top.
I drilled it to a 10/32 filled it and drilled a new touch hole lower in the liner straight in. Had no problems.
The liner was coned so I had just a touch more metal to go through, but I had no ignition problems

If the frizzen cover doesn’t hide the vent hole, it’s too high. I’d favor drilling perpendicular to the side flat but from the lower position. This won’t work with a standard as bought liner because the hole is usually pre-drilled.
The liner I purchase from Track has no pre drilled hole as shown in my sketch. Perpendicular drilling to the side flat increases the length of vent hole, plus I think it might start encroaching on the liner sidewall. The ignition right now is not bad, with heaped up prime, but I want to improve it. A photo is not available at this time.

Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

The liner you got does have a hole. its just not visible till you cut of the wrench lug. Don’t think you’ll do any good trying to drill at an angle.
At this point, probably better to make a plug on your own ,then drill the hole off center.
Or as stated above, install a 5/16” if you’re using a ¼” , that will marginally move it down and you’ll still have a good liner.
Good Luck!

The liner you got does have a hole. its just not visible till you cut of the wrench lug. Don’t think you’ll do any good trying to drill at an angle.
At this point, probably better to make a plug on your own ,then drill the hole off center.
Or as stated above, install a 5/16” if you’re using a ¼” , that will marginally move it down and you’ll still have a good liner.
Good Luck!
Ok, had my head in the sand, thanks for pointing that out. I had forgot Track's vent liner has a pre drilled hole only to the wrench lug. That changes the scenario. Help me understand Flint62Smoothies' idea about a 5/16" liner helping? Center line is center line. If I put in a 1/2" vent liner, the TH would still be in the center. I would not be moving the TH only making a bigger hole in the barrel.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

Plug the hole. Put in 1/4-28 rod and peen it in there. File smooth. Center punch where you want the new hole. Drill and tap. Put in new touch hole liner.

Back