Is there printed route of the Oregon trail?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Scarface

32 Cal
Reaction score
I don't care about the Oregon trail in itself, I just want to trace the route the the fur traders took to green river country next time I go hunting in WY.

It's just easier to say Oregon trail, and folks know what your talking about.

View attachment 69334
What is known as the Oregon Trail is one way the Fur Trappers used. The Oregon Trail was on the South side of the Platte River. Through Nebraska and Wyoming to the Sweetwater. The Mormon Trail stayed on the North side. The early days of the Fur Trade the Missouri River was the main route into what is now Montana. Another route was to follow the South Platte to what is now the area of Ft. Collins, CO. They then went North into the Laramie Valley, essentially what is now known as the Overland Trail. In western Wyoming the Oregon Trail went down to Ft. Bridger, but there was also the Lander cutoff that went through the Wyoming Range.

The Crisco Kid

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

Red Owl

32 Cal
Reaction score
there are quite a few diaries on folks traveling the route. I think you just follw the rivers, etc.-for the most part. At least up to the Rockies- from there on- not sure.

Notchy Bob

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This is a very good read. I'm a little biased since 2 of my ancestors, both my Dad's and Mother's, were on this train. Both of them are mentioned. I have my 4G grandfathers 40 caliber halfstock percussion rifle that he carried on the trip.

That looks like a nice book. My own ancestors were settled down on subsistence farms in southeast Alabama in 1845, but the early western frontier has always interested me. I think it's pretty cool that your ancestors were on that trip, and were mentioned in the book. Obviously, they were among the survivors, or you wouldn't be with us today! Talk about "the right stuff"... Those old pioneers had it.

It would be great to see some pictures of your rifle, and to hear a little more about it. Those old half-stocked percussion rifles don't have the cachet of flintlock longrifles or French fusils, but they got the job done. They put a lot of meat in the pot, and helped protect a lot of families. Having that one in your family, with solid provenance and an unbroken chain of custody, makes it a real treasure.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Reaction score
You can drive part of the Oregon Trail from St Mary, KS as far as he Vermillion River, where the was originally a ford and later a steel bridge. It's along a modern gravel road with steep hills on the more northerly side and the broad Kansas River Valley on the opposite side. I'm not sure how much of the road actually follows the trail beyond the Vermillion.