• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is there another tool that can sub for spring vice?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morehops52

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I need to disassemble a Siler lock and don’t have a mainspring vice. If I need to buy one that’s ok but I hate to get another piece of equipment if there’s a good alternative. Like when you go out and buy a special tool and your neighbor says oh you could’ve just used such and such.
BTW I did read Zonies tutorial on lock assembly.

Preface: I don't want anyone to go screaming into the night with their hair on fire looking to burn me alive while I'm sleeping.

I took a regular pair of vice grips and ground and polished all of the teeth. Butter smooth and shiny.

This made the vice grips not scratch the surface of the spring. It works really well. You have a very fine adjustment. Just like you would with a real spring vice.

When you go to release the pressure on the spring, open the vice grips SLOWLY. To not touch the adjustment screw. When you go back to compress the spring again, for installation, it will compress the exact same amount.

Easy. Peasy. Japanesy.

I've since bought a real spring vice for my bigger locks. It stinks with small Traditions mainsprings. Enter needle nose vise grips. Polished of course.

P.S. Let the pile on and kiwi kicking begin.

Last edited:
Preface: I don't want anyone to go screaming into the night with their hair on fire looking to burn me alive while I'm sleeping.

I took a regular pair of vice grips and ground and polished all of the teeth. Butter smooth and shiny.

This made the vice grips not scratch the surface of the spring. It works really well. You have a very fine adjustment. Just like you would with a real spring vice.

When you go to release the pressure on the spring, open the vice grips SLOWLY. To not touch the adjustment screw. When you go back to compress the spring again, for installation, it will compress the exact same amount.

Easy. Peasy. Japanesy.

I've since bought a real spring vice for my bigger locks. It stinks with small Traditions mainsprings. Enter needle nose vise grips. Polished of course.

P.S. Let the pile on and kiwi kicking begin.
I’ve done it a bunch white vice grips, but always scared the manure out of me.
Put on half cock, just tighten grips to hold, just tight enough to lift off the tumbler. Slip a knife just under the spring edge and ever so carefully pry lose while carefully pulling the grips
Like the outlaw Josey wales’so I can count the hairs on your hand
I’m glad I got a spring vise I’m too old to pucker… might have an accident

i also vote for a vice. vice grips can work but the jaws are not parallel and can creep off the spring.
no matter what is used, I set the lock to full cock, tighten the vice just snug, then trip the sear and remove the spring. the spring stays in the vice until it is reinstalled.
That’s the way to do it.

A good vise is the best way but if you don't have one, you don't have one. A narrow vise grip works fine especially if you put a couple wraps of friction tape or something similar on the jaws so they don't slip. Just don't compress the spring any more than you have to to take it out. The above advise is right.

As always I come here asking for good advice and that’s exactly what I get. I do have some of those tools but I think the sage advice for someone who has never taken a sidelock apart the vice is the right solution for me. While I was ordering the vice from TOW I added a coil spring compressor as well. All good replies and I thank you for taking the time.

For leaf springs you can muddle through with the hand tools ya have like all of us have, it's a pita and a roll of the dice but you can usually make something work, (tempered spring steel = fussy stuff)
Eventually (after the learning curve) you'll want a spring vice,, don't get the little cheap one,,
A vice usually costs about as much as a replacement spring.

Lots of stuff will work if you follow the advice already given.

Cock the hammer, install the tool of your choice to hold the spring and use the sear to release the hammer while holding the hammer so it releases gently. leave the spring compressed in the tool until reassembly.

Don't use whatever tool to try and compress the spring while the hammer is down!

And as others have said, get a mainspring vice.

I need to disassemble a Siler lock and don’t have a mainspring vice. If I need to buy one that’s ok but I hate to get another piece of equipment if there’s a good alternative. Like when you go out and buy a special tool and your neighbor says oh you could’ve just used such and such.
BTW I did read Zonies tutorial on lock assembly.
I use a small parallel machinist’s clamp, works fine.

my gun smith also uses VICE GRIPS with the teeth ground off, on all of work on locks, compression of main springs to dissemble them,& also on taking off the frizzen springs.

I’ve used vise grips for some time. I wrap the jaws with duct tape. It covers the teeth and protects the spring. Plus helps keep from sliding around. Then I can remove tape and use vise grips again.
I did buy a spring vise but have only used it once. I was always nervous using vise grips.

I saw a tool the other day on one of the muzzleloading sites on Facebook. It was just an 1/8" piece of steel with two slots in it. One for the frizzen spring and one for the main spring. Put the spring under tension, slide the tool over the spring and then remove the pressure. So, for the frizzen, close it over the pan, install the tool, then push the frizzen forward to relieve the pressure. I wish I could find the picture for you.

Back