• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is there a way to tighten the frizzen closed?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can do more if you try to fix it yerself. Wat Phil and LD said is sound advice. An evening at the kitchen with simple tools will, at least, improve that lock. I'll emphasize, use only flat files to close the gap. I consider that adjustment almost a routine part of getting a factory made rifle. Even good locks, like L&R and Davis, often needs this adjustment. BTW, when you hold it up to the light you should be able to see the points of contact that prevent total closing. Those are what need to be filed down. No need for transfer blackening.

I tried to get a good fit on several locks by filing the pan and only made things worse. I saw this video, followed the advice and easily stopped all my powder leakage. I like prussian blue for a transfer medium.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...4353af61ce40f32d557c94cdfefd0cdb&action=click

I had one that had the pivot drilled in the wrong place, Mark Elliot did a great job of welding up the initial hole and drilling a new one in the correct spot.

I have a Gustomsky trade gun with a terrible pan fit. The frizzen arm is built in a way that it would make it impossible to redrill the hole to get the frizzen sittin tightly on the pan. The arm would have to be bent in two different directions to be redrilled.

Probably a dumb question but.... could a bead of JB Weld be applied around the top edge of the pan and once hard then filed to match the bottom of the frizzen?
I have used JB weld on a number of locks with great success. Make sure you use a release agent or wax on anything you don't
want the epoxy to stick to, roughen up the bottom of the pan cover, apply the epoxy to the entire bottom of the pan cover, shut the frizzen turn the lock upside down wait for the epoxy to cure. remove the excess on the pan cover and pan. Open frizzen. I then remove frizzen from the
lock and file down (the bottom side of the pan cover) the bump of epoxy that bulged up into the pan, to almost flush with the edge that sets on the pan ring. it makes it more waterproof. Clean up and reassemble. Pioneer flinter.

Back