• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is there a specific builder to look for at Dixon Gunbuilder’s Fair?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjsoccer3

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m brand new to muzzleloading and am curious about Dixon’s gun maker’s fair. Is it a place where someone could find those nationally renowned / prolific custom gun makers?

If someone were going to look for a high quality period correct early Virginia rifle, would this be the ideal place to buy one or should I look for specific builders and get on one of those year long waitlists?

Apologies again for such new questions.

Thank You,

The CLA show is coming up in August in Lexington Ky.
It’s held at Rupp Arena .

Some of the top builders in the Country will be there.
Good Luck in your search, and Welcome too the Forum

Can’t say about Dixon’s..

Welcome..please don't apologize for questions. That's what forums are for. We all come here to learn.
The Dixon family are not holding their annual Gunmaker's Fair in Kempton, PA.
The NMLRA has announced a replacement event: The Gunmaker's Fair at Kempton. The first will be in Summer of 2022.
https://www.nmlra.org/news/gunmaker... in,this event was formerly held for 37 yearsTHIS weekend, (July 24,25) in Friendship, IN the NMLRA is hosting The American Longrifle Show
https://www.nmlra.org/american-longrifle-showThere is also the upcoming CLA ( Contemporary Longrifle Association) show in Lexington, KY in August:
https://www.longrifle.com/events/Then there's the NMLRA Championship shoot in September. A variety of America's top rifle builders will be on hand in the vendor area:
https://www.nmlra.org/calendar/2021septembernationalchampionshipsFor myself, I found it most useful to patiently attend as many events as possible, handle as many different rifles as possible before settling on one to order. If you have had enough exposure to longrifles that you're settled on a "high quality period correct early Virginia rifle" and nothing else will do...then you ( apparently) don't really need to shop around, looking at different rifles. Your search just comes down to who can best furnish what you've already decided you want. In that case then, you're looking for opinions which is also a real valid question.
IMHO: It's Barbie and Jim Chambers:
https://www.flintlocks.com/You will notice that they sell kits. Their kits are widely recognized as being among the most historically correct on the market and use only the best quality parts. Don't let the "kit" thing put you off. They can connect you with excellent builders who have done the building for folks, using Chambers parts kits and your cost and wait and the finished product will be as good ( or better) than you'll find from any of the big name builders.
I see I've written a lot of stuff...Hope this helps.
Again, welcome. Good luck with your search and by all means...keep us advised as your journey proceeds.

You bet, my friend. There’s still a lot going on for folks who have the ability to do some traveling. I’m hoping we have some of that “ early Fall” kinda weather in Friendship, come September. I’m a tent camper and to be honest I’ve about had it with flooding rains and sweltering heat.
I live in Florida... I don’t have to travel 1,000 miles for that..!!

Hi all,

I’m brand new to muzzleloading and am curious about Dixon’s gun maker’s fair. Is it a place where someone could find those nationally renowned / prolific custom gun makers?

If someone were going to look for a high quality period correct early Virginia rifle, would this be the ideal place to buy one or should I look for specific builders and get on one of those year long waitlists?

Apologies again for such new questions.

Thank You,
As you no doubt know by now, the Fair was moved 5 mi. up the road and will re-commence in 2022. The 2021 was cancelled, and Dixon's lost the use of the large parking field area. It's at Kempton farmer's market (I think) but always the last FULL weekend in July. I'm sure many people will still stop at the great Dixon shop on the way up or back! The drive along the road is beautiful, as the Summer Pennsylvania rolling hills with corn fields and farms is half the fun of the drive. As a newbie, you are sure on the right path to find what you need!

Don, I fully agree, I’ve been there for both as well…2018

6-A47637-B-1965-4-F20-A918-6-B89-A7942937.jpg

IMG-0525.jpg

IMG-0526.jpg

Big thanks to the NMLRA for picking up the ball and running over the goal line with this. Dixon’s has been such a big part of our family for so many years. Milestones for many of us have occurred there. Years ago I bought one of Brian Anderson’s beautiful pipe tomahawks. My ten-year-old son and I went back to the truck, pulled out some pipe tobacco, and smoked out of the tomahawk. We both enjoyed that long cool smoke, and I still enjoy looking at photos of him puffing away contentedly like an old man. Two years later we picked up his flintlock from Bill Slusser at Dixon’s. Years later I met with Mark Wheland at Dixon’s to formulate the plan for .62-caliber rifle, which Mark just completed. Ahhhh…Dixon’s…many happy moments there, and NMLRA just breathed life into that again.

Back to original question. When looking for a well known maker, it’s important to know what sort of gun you are interested in.
Example: if you want an authentic J&S Hawken rifle, you are looking for entirely different top makers than for colonial period rifle makers, or makers of iron-mounted North Carolina or Tennessee rifles, or golden age Kentuckies. What interests you?

Back