• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is the Pedersoli Trade Gun a "Tack Driver?"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's bit more complicated than that, Ronald. If we start with the basics, i.e., square muzzle, no dings in the crown, a sharp flint or relatively new nipple, a consistent "cheek weld," an experienced shooter, and a proper bench rest, the rest sort of follows. What one needs to do is:
---start with a given RB diameter and stay with it;
---use a 100% cotton patch that is sufficiently tight to allow starting without using a mallet. (As I wrote in response to BP Maniac, patches aren't HC/PC, but they work.);
---start with 70gr. FFg, then
---fire seven - 10 shots at a target you can see clearly @ 25 yd. before changing anything;
---prick the touch hole/vent after every shot + wipe the pan and flint edge as well to minimize hang fires; If you get one, ignore it, but mark your target.
---if no joy, increase the powder charge by 10gr., fire another 7 - 10 shots until you get a tight grouping.

Bare ball shooters can try some of the above as well, but be aware that not all agree on ball diameter and how "bare" the RB should be. Moreover, with BB loads, you'll need to address bore fouling more frequently.

At first the lack of a rear sight sort of annoyed me. Now I've come to prefer it. Additionally, I've tried a truly bore diameter RB (.618") in my 20 ga. trade gun (flintlock) just about every which way, but haven't been able to duplicate the accuracy of a smaller ball (.598" - .603" )with a .014" or .018" patch.

Hope this helps someone out!
if I had to guess I would say you are a match shooter with muskets. You go through all the steps I do with a rifle. I see so much stuff on how to load and shoot a musket and then they brag about getting an 8" group at 25 yards. I can only shake my head and think that can't be right. But I stay quiet because the only experience I have with muskets is watching others shoot them.

I really enjoy your videos, but a guy shooting at small targets without some well set up sights is not something I can see being successful. !!

Ronald, No, I'm not a match shooter any longer nor do I own or compete with a musket. However, I do own a Green River Forge 20 ga. trade gun (Barnett replica) and a T/C .56cal. smooth rifle. There was a steep, but not insurmountable, learning curve with each and there were enough flyers to ruin a "tack driving" group with each. Nevertheless, it has been fun and I do enjoy the challenge of shooting a smoothbore.

P.S. I do indeed shoot CF rifles and pistols, more for my own satisfaction than competitively, and that has pretty much ruined my off hand shooting skills.

It is a factory gun. It works 95% of the time, especially with the dull flints I often use.
That's all that matters to me.
Thanks for asking.

With a sharp flint and properly primed mine is quick as you could ask of any gun. But as you say they're just bloody good fun!

Have you tried/found a decent round ball load? I can't get any round balls for it here with covid shortages but I'm keen to get her into a 50 yard deer gun.

With a sharp flint and properly primed mine is quick as you could ask of any gun. But as you say they're just bloody good fun!

Have you tried/found a decent round ball load? I can't get any round balls for it here with covid shortages but I'm keen to get her into a 50 yard deer gun.
I agree about the sharp flints. I won't change out the flint until it is so dull it won't work at all. The one on the gun when I filmed this one was 50% gone.
I'm shooting .600 round balls. I picked up a .600 mould 2 years ago & poured several 1000 balls to shoot out of this trade gun. I still have 800-1000 round balls left.
I really haven't tried any other large size balls in it yet.
Probably won't change unless I can pick up a different mould really cheap at a trade show somewhere.
95% of my shooting is within 50 yards anyway.

Back