• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is the Lyman's Great Plains Rifle a Tack Driver ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The current Lyman Great Plains rifle is made by Pedersoli. It is a totally different rifle than the previous Lyman Great Plains rifle which was made by investarms for decades. That change was made about a year ago. If you want the Great Plains rifle that people talk about so fondly that they have had for years then you need to purchase the investarms Gemmer hawken. Same rifle without the Lyman logo stamped on it.
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/inve...le-plains-rifle-54-cal-percussion-ia3114.html

Not that the Black Powder Maniac Shooter needs an apologist, but I think people are missing the point of the original post and the video. The following message is my opinion only.

Mark loves to shoot his black powder guns any time he can. He also likes to share his interest with others, and has videos of people who have never shot black powder previously, shooting with him, and who end up greatly enjoying it.

This video was in response to a “fan” request for him to duplicate a previous video, but with his GPR. Never one to shy away from a challenge, Mark took the hyperbole statement that is often seen in guns for sale ads, “This gun is a tack-driver” and tried to suit actions to words and see if his GPR is a “tack-driver.” If you have never seen a BPMS video before, understand that Mark is funny and unabashedly excited when he gets a “hit.” (Maybe you should have been clued-in by the name: Black Powder MANIAC Shooter). This is not IdahoLewis carefully and methodically taking aim at a target on the other side of the state, AND HITTING IT! (full disclosure - I am a fan of Idaholewis’s videos and posts and greatly respect his knowledge and skill). Mark does things that many others don’t dare, and he does them with honesty and humor. If he chokes, he “chokes.” If he hits the target, he gets excited. Good, wholesome entertainment, but if it is not your thing, don’t watch, but also please don’t disparage him. That is not a very brotherly thing to do to a fellow black powder enthusiast, and Mark is definitely that.

I am not a black powder expert, and honestly, haven’t been able to get out and shoot any of my rifles in many months, but I still handle them )and buy more accessories) and read posts on this and two sister black powder forums, on a daily basis. I check YouTube most nights to see if there is a new BPMS video, or something from duelist1954, or the NMLRA channel, or to see if Bob McBride has done anything new on BlackPowderTV (we miss your videos, Bob, and I hope you are doing well), or a new and astounding video from Idaho Lewis, or search for something about any of the rifles I own, etc. (additional full disclosure - I am also a fan of all the aforementioned black powder aficionados). One thing I can say about all of these gentlemen is that I have learned valuable information, tips and tricks from everyone of them. I also learn new things all of the time from knowledgeable folks here on the forum. Mark may seem “silly” to some of you, but he actually shares interesting and often helpful info. He has inspired me to try a few things (as have the others). I have nothing but respect and admiration for someone who travels about and gives of his time to spread the love of Black Powder shooting to the world.

Even if he is a “maniac” :)

Thank you for your time, and apologies for the long address.

‘Poet
Well stated and I agree!

Britsmoothy said
When your eyes start to grow dim, and they will,

I used to have 20-15 vision in one eye and 20-10 in the other, not any more.

May all of you live long enough to experience decreased vision, and I hope you enjoy shooting then as much as you do now.

I kind of get the idea that some folks expect him to shoot from rests and demonstrate the best possible accuracy that his rifle is capable of....but Mark is just out having some fun with it, and sharing the experience with others. Loosen up guys and enjoy the video as he is just shooting offhand and trying to see if he can drive a tack ! He is not trying to convince others that he is the best shot out there, he is just spending his time to entertain you !!

I get that Mark is just having fun and not out to prove anything to anyone, I've watched more than a few of his videos and found them entertaining, and that's his point I guess, for the record, I don't begrudge anyone for doing what they like as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, and Marks videos certainly don't do that.
However, when I log on my laptop it's usually for any number of a few reasons, one is to check my favorite forums, two is do a little research or find a new recipe for a certain type of food, and the third reason is to be entertained, and when that's the case I'm probably looking for a good movie on U-Tube.
I like comedic shows as well as the next guy, and most of the time I can google a comic on line when I'm in the mood, but when I read a thread title like the one attached to this thread I'm interested to learn more, "learn" being the operative word, I'm interested in an honest review or other information about the topic aka, how accurate is the Lyman Great Plains Rifle, and have there been any changes in it's quality over the years.
In my opinion, as much fun as Mark is having sharing with us his video he's not coming the bit close to addressing the topic that the thread title suggests, and that to inquiring minds who really want to know is how well the guns shoot is disappointing.

I joined the forum 10yrs ago so I could improve my shooting skills with traditional arms, and some of the other historic skills that might be acquired.

Since 2009, I have been schooled here, on this forum, by many assorted members. Each of them sharing their learning experiences freely, with honest hope too improve others skills in what I presumed to be a shared quest.

Is absolutely failing to demonstrate the accuracy of a rifle in a public video,, supposed to be entertaining?
Wow, cool. Have fun friend.
😭😭😭😭😭😭

Anyone who has watched a number of Marks videos knows he is promoting the sport thru the lighter side of things. He has done tack driver videos before and they were done in very much the same manner. I don’t think I have ever seen one where he is shooting off a bench for serious accuracy

Last edited:
Back