• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is the Brown Bess good for hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used an old Brown Bess (I built it from a DGW kit back around 1988) with the traditional lead ball paper cartridges to take a few Kentucky whitetail deer, along with loads of shot to bag a few squirrel and doves. With the round ball load it is accurate enough out to 40-45 yards to get it done (if I get it done behind the trigger)
bess_deer.jpg

Is the Brown Bess good for hunting? I will probably be getting a Miruko when I get a Bess as I do not have one. I am going to try to reenact with it, but it would be nice if I could hunt with it. What are the biggest and smallest animals you would hunt with the Bess? Any recommendations, suggestions, advice etc is appreciated.
Just a question. Are you joining a military regiment or do you plan military/ civilian.
I think the ‘2ed’model Bess is the greatest and most beautiful military gun ever made. However you can get the general look from some lighter and easier to handle fusils.
An officers fusil comes to mind, looking like a Bess lite.
The NWG also has the English style stock, and lastly a sea service musket.then too, some ‘ranger guns’ muskatoons or carbines are about. None are as good looking as a real live Bess. They are good hunters and lighter, depending on the time and place would server as a civilian gun. Although if you join the army you need a Bess.

Just a question. Are you joining a military regiment or do you plan military/ civilian.
I think the ‘2ed’model Bess is the greatest and most beautiful military gun ever made. However you can get the general look from some lighter and easier to handle fusils.
An officers fusil comes to mind, looking like a Bess lite.
The NWG also has the English style stock, and lastly a sea service musket.then too, some ‘ranger guns’ muskatoons or carbines are about. None are as good looking as a real live Bess. They are good hunters and lighter, depending on the time and place would server as a civilian gun. Although if you join the army you need a Bess.

I would be joining "military/civilian" sort of thing most likely. So do you mean that the 2nd model Bess would be good for that? I'm fine with handling a Bess of any model, and I'm also fine with the weight.✓

Depends on your group. A ‘2ed ‘ model would be a might early fo F&I, late for war of 1812. milita might draw some guns from an armory and could have an older gun. A Canadian Milita man might have had a second model Bess in the war of 1812 but unlikely.
A civilian might have a non military gun that he brought to muster.
I wasn’t trying to discourage you from a Bess here, but in historic terms few besses were owned by non military people. However that said poor men who could not afford a gun as part of their milita requirement were issued guns from the local armory.

Some like Bess's and think they look great, and there are others who think the Charleville is a much better musket. The decision by the United States Department of War in 1795 to settle on a Charleville style musket rather than a Bess is something that was done with deliberation, and not emotions such as "gollee, I think it looks like the purtiest thang I ever saw."

The 1728/45 Charleville was carried by colonists/Americans during the French and Indian War, and also used against the British during the American Revolution. Something to think about. ;-)

I’ve heard people mention that before, but I never followed up on it. Any captured muskets I’m sure were put to use. Except in times of war nations back then traded war supplies. At time of mobilization for war nations bought from neutrals. I’ve oft wondered how many Charlie’s or Dutch ect were used in the British colonies.

Yes, practically, I mean 1740-1790

Captured French Charlevilles were carried by at least one British regular unit for a time, and at least one provincial unit with a very high name recognition.

1758 was a critical year for the British in North America, and there was a major shortage of arms for Abercromby's troops in New England. That year, no less than three concurrent campaigns were launched, one by Forbes against Fort Duquesne/Pitt, Abercromby against Ticonderoga, and Wolf et al against Louisbourg.

The 60th Foote, aka the Royal Americans was technically on the formal roster of British units as "regulars", however, it was raised by recruiting men from Germany and Switzerland, on the condition that it would only be fielded in North America. When the necessary manpower couldn't be recruited, recruits from French POWs, German speakers from Pennsylvania, and a smattering of Irish, and British colonists. When the unit sent a battalion to participate in the Ticonderoga campaign records indicate more than a few in the unit swapped out their Bessies in favor of carrying captured Charlevilles on campaign.

Roger's Rangers, who were NOT on the regular British list of formal regiments, carried their own weapons and were free to use and modify captured weapons, and Charlevilles were at times used because they were lighter, had higher muzzle velocities and a slightly greater range than Besses.

Something worth mentioning is when Louisbourg was captured in 1745 during "George's War", or the one before the French and Indian War, roughly FIFTEEN THOUSAND Charlevilles were part of the arsenal, and fell into British hands. These weapons would have been valuable for the colonial governments to issue or sell to their citizens, and it is likely that some of them were acquired for that use.

This is all very interesting stuff but what has it to do with hunting?

Read this part?

"Charlevilles were at times used because they were lighter, had higher muzzle velocities and a slightly greater range than Besses."

Lighter weight, higher muzzle velocity and greater range should be obvious for a smoothbore user who can use it for warfare and/or hunting.

Read this part?

"Charlevilles were at times used because they were lighter, had higher muzzle velocities and a slightly greater range than Besses."

Lighter weight, higher muzzle velocity and greater range should be obvious for a smoothbore user who can use it for warfare and/or hunting.

I think the talk of "muzzle velocity, lighter weight, and greater range" are important topics.

Well there must be something wrong with me as I don't see any difference as a hunting tool.
I mean if we want something better why not forget the whole muzzleloading thing altogether?
A Bess puts game on the table no worse than any other musket.

Well there must be something wrong with me as I don't see any difference as a hunting tool.
I mean if we want something better why not forget the whole muzzleloading thing altogether?
A Bess puts game on the table no worse than any other musket.

We're talking about "better" traditional muzzleloaders between the charleville and the Bess. I believe that a Bess can and will do just as good as any other muzzleloader and I think it can be a hunting tool, plinking gun or anything else. Sorry if it doesn't make sense.

The OP was " Is a Brown Bess good for Hunting ". The answer is real simply YES, smoothbores have been use for hunting for hundreds' of years and were and still are very good at killing all animals, large, small, or feather. And when all is said and done the Brown Bess is just another smooth bore.

Not sure what's wrong with a topic going....off topic, when most of the subject matter has been exhausted. It's still good, informative, intellectual discussion. Bunch of grumpy old men with cabin fever we are. :)

Back