• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is the 36 caliber becomming extinct?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been considering a .36 in flintlock for squirrel. Wow—$890 for a Pendersoli seems steep for such, but there seem very few options for a FLINT .36.

I wonder if the .36 roundballs are also becoming extinct too? Suppose that needs to be researched as well, since I do not cast my own and have no ambitions for starting to at the moment.
You can buy 000 buck shot, which is .350 diameter. It is a little harder than pure lead, but it loads just fine in my .36 caliber rifles. Better yet, get a mold and cast your own.

I have noticed there are a lot of rifles that are not made anymore. Most shooters turn up their noses at anything that holds less than 20 rounds. it seems that those of us that shoot front loaders and cast bullets are getting older and older. i good friend of mine has shot in milatary rifle matches cast bullet for 20 years he is now almost 50. he was the youngest shooter when he started shooting in local ranges in Washington state. and 20 years later he is still the youngest at the matches. shame but things they are a changing and not for the better. the market pretty much rules what is made and what isnt. it is even harder to purchase a 1861 springfield or 1853 enfield. fewer places make them
Yep. One of the main issues within the NMLRA is recruiting new, young shooters. I heard that the NSSA is seeing the same with the youthful demographics today. So many "modern" things viying f ro attention of the youngsters. Schools & society against guns & violence.

I have been considering a .36 in flintlock for squirrel. Wow—$890 for a Pendersoli seems steep for such, but there seem very few options for a FLINT .36.

I wonder if the .36 roundballs are also becoming extinct too? Suppose that needs to be researched as well, since I do not cast my own and have no ambitions for starting to at the moment.
Like someone else posted, check out the Kibler kits....great quality!

I asked here earlier post about a rifle that was a 38 caliber. I was made during 1983 and was in remembrance of the Alamo. I had seen these rifles before in an NRA magazine as a commemorative and trimmed in gold.
Turns out it was built by pedersoli, we guess as the printing on the under barrel is very distinct and spelled edersoli. Later found plenty of specimens of pedersoli in 38 caliber. I suppose when a run is being made of barrels the caliber changes as the next run is made. I have often wondered how the runs are determined at the factory.

Seems to me based on the wanted ads, .36-.32 caliber are in demand. I would like one, state laws require that caliber for small game.

It could be factory made 36s are less poplular. But the 36 has been around since Moses (well....almost). It has a following. I'm not a fan. The .45 cal. is the closest to an all around caliber, IMHO. Now, I'm sure someone will remind me my latest rifle, the Little Feller is a .50. That was chosen for unique reasons.

I think they go in spurts. Everybody, well many dealers anyway were in to Tennessee and SMR in late 70s early 80s. I made one and a friend said ‘ah your on the Tenngun band wagon now’ so I got my nickname. (Better then canoe killer).
then everyone went for a .62 smoothie. Now folks are looking at .54 and .58 smoothbores, and there are some .50s to be seen.
a lot of new shooters want to think in terms of a cannon that can be fired from the shoulder.
there seems little romance attached to small working men’s rifles.
F&I rifles were bigger bore. And out west one needed a rifle up to buff and ol’Ephrime (grizz) small bore tended to be Gentleman's guns like the Ohio style or the plane guns of a farm boy plinking on Sunday afternoons. Not a lot of romance there. So I think we have bruised them aside even though most American made rifles were them pea shooters.

I was shopping for a rifle in 36 caliber and it seems that the only way you can get one is by building a kit. Pedersoli doesn't list them anymore. DGW has the only one I could find-a Cub which I bought in flint. It seems there are plenty of 32s around, but no 36s. Can someone shed som light on that?
Yeah, it is a much more popular caliber for hand guns than for rifles.

Hornady and Speer both make a .350 ball and Hornady a .375 ball. Depending on the gun one or other can be used. My Seneca uses the 350 and a Pedersoli Saloon pistol I owned the .375 both are called 36 cal

Just returned from the shop, cast a couple hundred.350 RBs. Just built a new barrel for my rifle that was a .36 and had Hoyt bore it to .38 Since the I picked up a TC Patriot in .36 so I had to have another mate for it.

I have a pedersoli dixie cub in .36
Did you buy it 5, 10, 15, or even 20 years ago? I think that is the OPs point.

The .36 will never become obsolete. Here is mine. A fancy little number by A Wurfflein.
A Wurfflein .36.JPG

Prices have gone up a lot in the last 30 or 40 years. back then the Dollar was worth and Italy and Spain really liked our dollar. The government spending had de valued it to the point they want the Euro. And hold your breath it is only going to get worse with all the new programs biden and kamala have in mind. Problem with the programs they are not headed to the people on this forum. i assume those here have worked for what the have, and most have white privilege. yes the people who go to work every day and built this country are now the enemy

Back