• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is Swiss powder "the best" for general BP shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that if you are looking for best economical general shooting powder go with Grafs house brand. I bought a full case a few months back and went with Goex Olde Eynsford which cost me about $25.00 more per case than standard Goex and it shoots as well as Swiss in my opinion. Havent checked prices lately but it was affordable and worth the extra for my shooting.

If 60 grains Swiss equaled 70 grains GO, or even 50 grains Swiss how’s that work out? That means you would get a hundred and forty shots from a pound of Swiss. Vs a hundred from a pound of GO. But Swiss cost half as much again.
More likely it’s closer to a hundred and sixteen.
You have to clean it the same way and for the most part I swab between shots,
I’m ok with 2/3 price

Graffs and Goex are both American made (In the same plant). Serious bench shooters tend to prefer Swiss ,but for most of us Graffs and Goex work fine and cost less than Swiss.I myself have never shot Swiss and have shot almost all other brands of true black and have found all of them good enough for me except the old elephant powder which was really hard to clean.

It really depends on what type of shooting you're doing. If it's competition, Swiss or Old Eynsford. Just plinking, Goex or Schuetzen. Old Eysnford is a Goex product.

Swiss is definitely a premium powder. From what I've read, a lot of competition shooters use it.
I guess it has the most consistent velocity, shot to shot, with Old Ensyford being a close second.
For the last 2 years, I've been shooting Swiss and Old Ensyford 3f powder in my rifles and pistols.
I'm actually still on the fence as to which one I like better. Although, I think that Swiss is the more cleaner burning.

Of course every rifle is different, but I recently have tried Swiss 3f in my .45 flinter and got the same results with 45 grains as I was getting with 65 grains 3f Goex. At that rate it is slightly cheaper than Goex per shot. I have only used about 1/2 a pound at this point so the jury is still out.

It really depends on what type of shooting you're doing. If it's competition, Swiss or Old Eynsford. Just plinking, Goex or Schuetzen. Old Eysnford is a Goex product.
Ive changed from 3 to 2 at times, and adjusted my charge so I had the same velocities and my eye, my old style sights,my patch/lube/ball combo shot the same. I just had to use more 2
Should your best group come with a combo that gives you 1600fps do you find a difference from that velocity based on Swiss vs GO
Now I find shot seems to work better with 2 over three. So the ‘punch’ might make a difference??? I don’t know

Goex and grafs works fine for me just for hunting.
Did get did get a pound of swiss the other day at the local shop was all they had in stock.
Have to see if it's worth the extra $8.

Of course every rifle is different, but I recently have tried Swiss 3f in my .45 flinter and got the same results with 45 grains as I was getting with 65 grains 3f Goex. At that rate it is slightly cheaper than Goex per shot. I have only used about 1/2 a pound at this point so the jury is still out.
When you say you got the same results with Swiss are you talking about velocity or accuracy (group size ) or both .

I have used Goex a good bit as well as Swiss (3F in either brand) since I only shoot 3F. I think both are fine powders though I have found 3F Swiss is a little bit stronger (hotter) over 3F Goex. I don't think that by itself is a big deal but Swiss is definitely cleaner burning too so I prefer Swiss when I can get it but, I have no problem buying Goex and shooting it either and I do like supporting an American company when I can as others have mentioned.

DSC03160.JPG

DSC03040.JPG
DSC03384.JPG
DSC03033 (2).JPG
Swiss works best for ME your results might differ the above is out of three differant barrels Green mountain, Bobby Hoyt, and Getz all 50s with 10oz denim tallow lube
DSC03041.JPG

Attachments

• DSC03384.JPG
    DSC03384.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 21
I shoot with my Pedersoli LE PAGE since 2011, I've always used SWISS POWDER No 1 and never had an issue.

Let's be accurate here. GOEX is a brand. GOEX, like Shell gasoline, has a couple different products. There's regular Goex and then there's the "premium" level Goex, Old Eynsford. If you test regular Goex against Old Eynsford, you'll find Old E is a better powder. Price isn't everything. When you care about the 10X ring, you won't find the cheap stuff anywhere in the winners list. If you're plinking cans, cheap is fine.

Back