• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is South Carolina Different....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry2357

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well after 60 plus years in UPPER NY State, my wife and I are moving south to coastal SC, a place we have enjoyed for many years.
To the point, being a BP shooter up here in NY we have clubs, which include a range, membership and all the rest.
Looking down in SC it looks like a pay to play day. I am seeing gun ranges that you pay and shoot whatever you got.
On the Eastern/Mid SC are there any clubs with ranges you can join and belong to? I sure don't want to miss my BP camaraderie (may be misspelled) friendships, and fellow shooters not liking all that smoke.
I will keep my hopes up, Thanks, Joe

I was in N. Myrtle Beach in the early-mid 90's. We would shoot at Marion, Orangeburg and a place called Echo 6 Shooting Park (that is the new name). There was a place in Ridgeland too. Back then I had a Zouave and three BP revolvers. I was welcome on the range with them, but never ran into fellow traditionalists. There was a booth hosted by a ML club that would set up at the Charleston Wildlife Art Expo each year, but I don't know if that event still takes place or if that club is around. My experience is quite dated, so I hope someone else can give you a current report.

Thanks Spark, I did see the Echo 6 , but it’s just not what I’m looking for. Granted, I would go there if need be but, oh I don’t know, it’s just not a club.. I belong to a blacpowder club up here and the range and woods walk are black powder. I sure thought the southern states would have the same... and they may I might just not be finding it online.

Well thanks to Buck I have been in contact with Charles Town long rifles concerning a club but, have contacted others through their membership emails and do not even get a response..that kinda surprises me. Actually the one I liked is in NC, still a good drive from the area my wife and I are looking at (1 1/2) hr drive but, they are not responding after a couple emails either. oh well...I guess it’s not like up here in upstate NY, I’ll keep trying a for a club but I guess just to find a place to shoot in northern SC will have to do.

That’s disappointing, but similar to my experiences. There is a club near Asheville, NC that has been responsive to me, but the two hour plus drive is more than I am willing to do, at least for now. Had hoped that @D. Buck Stopshere would have been able to set you up in the SC Coastal area, but through no fault of his, guess it didn’t happen.

I have found a great group/club less than half an hour from the house where I shoot. Unfortunately, I seem to to be the only ‘traditional muzzleloader’ shooter. They are intrigued with what I shoot, but that is about the extent of it. Not like when I lived in NY and could find a ‘traditional’ muzzleloader shoot nearly every weekend near the house.

Well I keep on looking. Buck did reach out for me, I'm thinking maybe no responses due to the fact I am not down there yet. I like to have my ducks-in-a-row before I do anything. Plan, plan, plan. My wife says I'm a nut for doing that.

I drive three hours too one club I shoot with and two hours to another...

All the more reason to pitch a tent and spend the night!
Might as well get your moneys worth while your going.

I actually use my slide in truck camper sometimes, if it’s not a planned Primitive shoot.

I am a member of the Charlestowne Long Rifles. Our range is near McClellanville, SC

We shoot the last Sunday of every month. Membership dues are 75.00 for the year.

PM me, or call or text me @ 843 934 3344

Attachments

• IMG_8244.JPG
    IMG_8244.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 129
Joe,
The club in NC is probably mine, and I am probably the one that has not responded to you regarding the Crosse Creek Rifle and Pistol Club. I am usually on the road 12 to 14 hours a day, pushing 74 years old.

I mentioned yesterday that I would get up with you last night, but after driving 13 hours yesterday for Enterprise Holdings Company, getting in at 10PM, I decided to answer you later this morning, which I will.

Regrets,

Buck Buchanan

Joe,
The club in NC is probably mine, and I am probably the one that has not responded to you regarding the Crosse Creek Rifle and Pistol Club. I am usually on the road 12 to 14 hours a day, pushing 74 years old.

I mentioned yesterday that I would get up with you last night, but after driving 13 hours yesterday for Enterprise Holdings Company, getting in at 10PM, I decided to answer you later this morning, which I will.

Regrets,

Buck Buchanan
LOL, Buck, whenever you get time it would be appreciated. Like I mentioned, I got 3 months (which I bet goes fast) before I'm down and then a couple weeks to settle in and learn more about the area. Thanks, Joe

PS Buck, I understand the hours, right now working a PT job after my day job and when I get home, I crash. Most of my emails I do at work. Don't want the boss to see.

Joe,

Email sent on our club and the White Oak River Longrifles located just south of Clinton NC.

One of the fellers here makes a four hour drive to the WORL shoot from the Charleston area, monthly. That's dedication to the sport.

After talking to Buck, I can see now there will be considerable drive time involved to hook up with fellow Trad. BP’ers like me. And that’s ok. I’ll have to do what I can and then shoot at one of the pay to play ranges closer by. Once I get closer to the move, I will reach out to the recommendations I got here and for that I appreciated it. Joe

ps. I remember reading somewhere, I can’t find now, about some state forest property that has a couple ranges that wasn’t too far. Does anyone know the place I’m talking about?

They are intrigued with what I shoot.

I belong to a club that does have some bp shooting going on. I am told they are Thursday afternoon shooters. I shoot my 1863 Sharps or revolvers on a Saturday or Sunday and I seem to be the only one that does. So I always have some one saunter over to see what all the smoke is about!

Well even the Ms. and I have to postpone. Most of, well all of you folks, don’t know me but some have read here we are moving to SC In early June. Well do to the present circumstances we had to move it back some. We are looking at Sept if things get back into shape, somewhat. So I still hope to meet up with a few here I have chatted with but, just a bit later. Joe

I am a member of the Charlestowne Long Rifles. Our range is near McClellanville, SC

We shoot the last Sunday of every month. Membership dues are 75.00 for the year.

PM me, or call or text me @ 843 934 3344
Well, still we sit, we were, ARE, so looking forward to moving to SC when its "allowed" So for now after losing my 40 plus year job, luckily went full time at my part time job (Home Depot, thank goodness they like me) along with a big cut, my wife on furlough, well I don't have to say cause I know you folks are going through the SAME and sorry to all.
Anyway still planing, waiting and planning. So many thanks to those that passed on info even though I'm holding off on contacts until we have our traveling papers, for lack of other words. Looking forward to meeting some of you southern Traditional muzzleloaders. Joe

Back