• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is something missing here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
20220927_132830_copy_800x417.jpg

It's the original lock from a very old CVA Kentucky rifle kit. I think Deer Creek has the later version of the same lock. Probably a drop in replacement. I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say.

yeah i have that unit in my Ketucky, works fine, but I know there's better stuff out there

i can't tell the specific maker of the pictured very fine lock, but L&R, Siler, Kibler all make very good locks. there are many old locks also floating around that are of exemplary construction.
the difference between one of the above listed and the pictured CVA/Traditions lock in the op is like that of a timex vs a rolex watch.

I don't think I'd want that old lock on my rifle; there are so many good ones to use. May take some searching but a better one, like the truth, is out there. :cool:

Longcruise, the real downer with that lock is the axel will wear the plate bearing oblong in just a few sessions. or the axel itself will wear to the point of binding the tumbler, or causing the nose of the hammer to start striking off center of the cap. putting that lock in a custom build will be of a great disappointment very soon. trying to replace the inletting doubles your work and in my case, would double the chance of destroying the build.

Back