• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is something missing here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I'd want that old lock on my rifle; there are so many good ones to use. May take some searching but a better one, like the truth, is out there. :cool:

Longcruise, the real downer with that lock is the axel will wear the plate bearing oblong in just a few sessions. or the axel itself will wear to the point of binding the tumbler, or causing the nose of the hammer to start striking off center of the cap. putting that lock in a custom build will be of a great disappointment very soon. trying to replace the inletting doubles your work and in my case, would double the chance of destroying the build.

I think i may not have been clear regarding "the rest of the story". This lock is part of complete kit for a very old CVA Kentucky Rifle. So, all the parts ar almost but not quite a perfect fit to each other. I'm still not sure if one of the current CVA locks will fit. There's a very limited amount of adjusting and changing of parts that can be done.

I have two kid guns that I built ages ago with CVA locks that do have bridles. I'll dig one out and try fitting it to this inlet. Then there are the new CVA locks available at Deer Creek but I'll see first what is on hand.

Ah! already inlet. kinda limits ones choices. best of luck and don't take my comments as denigrating. parts are what they are. it will make a fine example of a step in the history of the resurgence of this sport. in the 60's there were some specimens offered that today makes us shudder. though in reality are a part of history.

It would make the rifle worth more, especially a flintlock from CVA, as they have good barrels and shoot well. I'm thinking about doing it for one of my CVA's.

This is my CVA lock off of my Mountain rifle.
I have completely reworked this lock. Honed all the parts that need it.
Along with it is the trigger assembly. Which I totally reworked. Honed all parts and
replaced the wobbly roll pins with sized brass pins.
With this set up I doubt you can find a faster lock time no matter how much you spend.
Excuse the dust please.
Maurice.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 0
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 0